• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bestbuy ROCKS trading in my Hero for a EVO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I have stated before its all about who you know. Best buy at the lower level of employees is a very crooked. Basically they can do almost anything. I was taught by the guys before me how to work the system, I worked the system, and I taught the guy after me how to. That is the real reason why everyone is getting a different. Cause every employee does things differently.

I still don't understand, crooked or not, how best buy employees can change terms of a contract over at sprint. Sure I work in retail, sure I KNOW of ways around policies. Would it eventually catch up with me? Yes. I don't see how there could be a difference here. Best buy employees are able to alter a legal contract with a party they are simply a third wheel to with no issues whatsoever.. just seems weird. But if you guys get your evo, then thats cool. I'm sticking it out either way. The hero had wayyy to many problems at release so I say give it a few months and the evo will be the phone to buy. Unless something new is rumored by then :D

Reactions: tlpalmer01
Upvote 0
Croocked or not, I don't think that will have anything to do with it. That's great if people know bad seeds at best buy but that doesn't mean they are going to get it to go through. The system they use is linked directly through sprint. They type your name and phone # in the system and it tells them the upgrade date and eligibility. There is no way to bypass that unless you call sprint direct. When that happens, they will tell the rep that the customer is not eligible. Good luck but I don't see this happening.

Upvote 0
Ok, here is one thing that no one has brought up in this thread yet. If you have Geek Squad Black Tie Protection it can be done. I started with an Instinct HD, hated it, got a BB Curve 8350, had an issue with that, took it back. Got another BB in a different color, had an issue with that. Now I have had nothing but issues with this Hero. I reload the OS frequently and it reboots, lags, and has a bunch of issues. If you signed up for the Geek Squad Protection INSTEAD of Assurance from Sprint, you can do it. They GAVE me a gift card to pay the difference between the BB and my Hero. Anyone have doubts? I have receipts. That is how they sell the Geek Squad. NO QUESTIONS ASKED, NEW PHONE! So, since the EVO is out on the 4th, I am taking my Hero, receipt, and self into Best Buy, telling them the truth that I hate all the issues with my Hero with the Sprint update, and get an EVO. Why try to scam them? Just be truthful and you will get further.

Upvote 0
I have a question that is semi-related to this topic. Gonna try the BB thing for sure, no harm in trying right, but here is my issue. When I go to upgrade, be it this week or a year from now, should I unroot / revert to stock? I'm just thinking that when I do actually upgrade, it might be a little uncomfortable should I hand over my Hero only to have the rep shake his head and say that I am out of luck because I rooted.

Thx for any advice.
(currently using a rooted Hero running Fresh)

Upvote 0
I have a question that is semi-related to this topic. Gonna try the BB thing for sure, no harm in trying right, but here is my issue. When I go to upgrade, be it this week or a year from now, should I unroot / revert to stock? I'm just thinking that when I do actually upgrade, it might be a little uncomfortable should I hand over my Hero only to have the rep shake his head and say that I am out of luck because I rooted.

Thx for any advice.
(currently using a rooted Hero running Fresh)

Just run the official 2.1 RUU, that is if you are trading it in for credit towards your potential new purchase.

Upvote 0
wait a sec OP, you just paid:

$99 (for a barely broke in overpriced Hero, not 'best buy' for you, as I bought in same time frame for $60 w/ free activation, no tax; more so, last time I was at best buy a couple of weeks ago, the Hero was $30 w/ 2 year
$87 + (your trade in price)
--------------------------
$186 = Evo w/ 2 year contract, that's near retail for 'upgrade' or new customer price of $199. Good I reckon if you really wanted to upgrade, I wouldn't say it's as big as you're making it, even if you slide past the upgrade rules which you may or may not, and mind you, it sounds unlikely. Basically what you are proposing is that Sprint will gladly give you a free phone for a month or two of service, then when you would like to upgrade to the latest and greatest, Sprint (in the name of customer serivce) says, "sure why not, here's upgrade pricing even though you are not elgible, and you know that phone we gave to you a mere 1-2 months ago... KEEP IT, it's on US!".

Sounds kinda absurd when you think about it doesn't it?

What I don't get is, presuming this is something everyone can do (which obviously everyone can not nor you probably), why would you even ponderin selling the phone to Best Buy for credit... wouldn't it be more advantageous to sell on eBay, presuming there are no ETF, etc. fees? This reason is a no contract Hero is more desirable than one which carries a 2 year contract.

As an aside, I'd argue against this deal, even if it were true.

I signed up in late March as new customer, but I think I'll keep the Hero. If I wanted a screen as big as the Evo, I might was well get an iPad or sell my ultra portable as it or the phone would be redundant, but I'm leaning toward the phone as I do a whole lot more on my 3lb dual core ULV notebook. :D

Also screw paying a WiFi tether surcharge.

As far as the Best Buy kool-aid you seem to enjoy, they might have the occasional good deal, particularly w/ handsets and lappies (sometimes requiring a little shuck and jive to achieve), but their prices in general suck, are inflated, and require tax. Ergo, most Best Buy deals are had in manipulating Best Buy as they in general, suck.

Hey, believe what you want. Im getting an EVO and you can stay on your heros.

Gladly! I love the Hero w/ Fresh v2.1.2. I was never turned on by that huge screen on the Evo/HD2, etc.; the HDMI seemed novel at first, but now at best seeing it'll be crippled in many ways, until maybe root unlocks it's full potential and/or Android SDK starts supporting more ubiquitous codecs/containers.

Keep us posted on your upgrade! :D

Upvote 0
Ok, here is one thing that no one has brought up in this thread yet. If you have Geek Squad Black Tie Protection it can be done. I started with an Instinct HD, hated it, got a BB Curve 8350, had an issue with that, took it back. Got another BB in a different color, had an issue with that. Now I have had nothing but issues with this Hero. I reload the OS frequently and it reboots, lags, and has a bunch of issues. If you signed up for the Geek Squad Protection INSTEAD of Assurance from Sprint, you can do it. They GAVE me a gift card to pay the difference between the BB and my Hero. Anyone have doubts? I have receipts. That is how they sell the Geek Squad. NO QUESTIONS ASKED, NEW PHONE! So, since the EVO is out on the 4th, I am taking my Hero, receipt, and self into Best Buy, telling them the truth that I hate all the issues with my Hero with the Sprint update, and get an EVO. Why try to scam them? Just be truthful and you will get further.

Were you able to pull this off? I have Black Tie Protection and currently have a Palm Pre with tons of issues. My upgrade is in July. What difference do actually pay, on the retail price or upgrade price or what?

Upvote 0
Just finished talking with best buy and they are going to give me a $113 gift card for trading in my Hero and they will sell me the EVO for $199 even though I only renewed my sprint contract 1 month ago.

So im getting the EVO for $87!!!!!!!!!!

Where you at? If you really got this deal, more power to you and you'll be the envy of me for sure. But if you didn't, show up and admit your mistake and eat your crow.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones