1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

better app than autorun manager for disabling/removing unneeded services?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by tmaertin, Jan 1, 2012.

1. tmaertin

tmaertin Newbie
    None

Oct 21, 2011
    the Leon Phelps of Sanborn, NY
    Sanborn, NY
    my question involves disabling/removing unneeded services in Android - i am 2.3 gingerbread stock and rooted. an example of an unneeded service is the USA Today Push notification service as i do not use any notifications.

i am currently using autorun manager free but it only supports stopping/freezing 4 services. considering pay 2 bucks for the app but I just want to make sure what my best option is:

1) android market seems to have pretty good reviews - has anyone else used this? Autorun Manager Pro

2) would i get this feature as well as other features from something like Titanium Backup pro? I do not mind bucking up but if I can get other features I just want the best value for my hard earned cash.

3) could I do this myself (similar to the concept to services.msc in windows)?

Thanks for all of your help/ideas and have a great new year!

Advertisement

2. dvhttn

dvhttn Android Expert

Oct 17, 2010
    I wish ....
    Sunny Cornwall
    I use Anttek App Manager to freeze then, if there are no problems, remove system apps/services. I use the free version of Titanium Backup for backup though ....

No problems as yet with either ....

Dave

3. walpow

walpow Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 23, 2011
    You might also consider Autostarts. I've been using Titanium Backup to freeze stuff I don't need at all and Autostarts to prevent other programs from starting at boot. I also use it to eliminate widgets that I'm never going to use from appearing in the widget list. Cost: $1.03.

4. tmaertin

tmaertin Newbie
    None

Oct 21, 2011
    the Leon Phelps of Sanborn, NY
    Sanborn, NY
    Thank you both - I am using Autostarts now and it is a nice app - esp for $1.03. A little easier to work with than autoruns manager.

However, one issue I am running into is some services still seem to start on their own (Facebook Upload Manager is an example). I'm looking for a way to freeze these if possible? i know their are apps that can freeze entire apk's from running, but is there anything that can completely freeze a service?

5. walpow

walpow Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 23, 2011
    Did you try sorting by app instead of event, and see all the things that influence each app? Maybe, if the unwanted services aren't in the After Startup category, some obscure event is kicking them off. This should also work for service-only apps - I see several of mine showing up in the After Startup category and elsewhere.