1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Better Battery Life Today !!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by TexasBadger, Apr 12, 2011.

1. TexasBadger

TexasBadger Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 10, 2010
    Structural Engineer
    Dallas Area
    I recently rooted my 16-month-old Eris and installed the XTRSense 5.01 ROM. Among my many goals was to extend the battery life. All of my other goals were attained and then some, but not that one. Then I browsed through the posts on the Thunderbolt and, as expected, found a long thread on battery life. One suggestion there struck me as being revolutionary, yet brain-dead simple.

When you don't need a data connection, use a toggle to turn it off. Your Eris will send and receive phone calls and texts with both 3G and Wi-Fi turned off. When your phone is in your pocket, turn 3G and Wi-Fi off. When you want to use your phone for anything other than calls and texts, simply use the toggle to turn 3G back on. Within just a few (maybe 15) seconds, all of your email accounts will update, your weather will update, etc.

This simple technique should add several hours to your daily battery life, without any sacrifice on your part. I wish I had thought of this a long time ago! :)

Advertisement

2. Bishop

Bishop Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 12, 2010
    Right Here
    Really not trying to sound like a jerk, but what you just typed has been known for quite some time now, like when the phone first came out.

But now that you're rooted, maybe fooling around with setcpu (or like app) will actually add to your battery life as well.

3. doogald

doogald Android Expert
    None

Jan 7, 2010
    There is an app called JuiceDefender (which is free, though there are better, for pay upgrades to a Plus and Ultimate package) which automates a lot of this. For example, I think by default it disconnects WiFi and Mobile data for 15 minutes, then turns it on to allow your apps that look for data to grab it, then turns it off again. When you power up, it turns on the radios as well. Plus and Ultimate add features such as scheduled times, location-based WiFi control (i.e., turn on the WiFi radio only when you are home and at work), etc.

4. manderle

manderle Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 21, 2010
    NC
    You can also use Green Power Battery Saver. Like Juice Defender it turns off you 3G and or WiFi (your choice of scheme) and lets you set the various permutations on when to re-enable them. The free version only works during the day (like 7a to 10p) and the $1.60 premium version lets you set night settings and the hours as well. I have mine set to day (6a to 10p) on 1 minute, off 30 min, on when I unsleep the phone or have it connected to external power. At night I have it set for on 1 minute, off 8 hours (can't set on lower other than completely off) but on if I unsleep the phone or have it connected to the recharging cable. With this set-up I generally get from 36 to 48 between charges with moderate use. (running on an Eris with XTRrom 5.0)