• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Better Camera Software

byrds8

May 21, 2011
Is there a better camera software for the Nexus that will still do pano shots as well as 1080p recording? Every shot Ive tried to take indoors even after manually focusing is still kinda blurry. Im sure it has nothing to do with it being only a 5MP camera as Ive taken nice shots with a 1.3. Still though the shots Ive taken were all indoors and just look very grainy/blurry. Advice?

I'm wondering if there is a better camera software/firmware update coming for the stock camera app. I don't have the phone yet, but the camera complaints are about the only thing that make my excitement wain. Santa is bringing me one this weekend regardless. I would probably rather have a rooted SGSII at this point, but VZW never put one out.

As for camera apps, I'm a fan of Vignette, Retro Cam, and Pixlr O Matic. I think they all offer some cool features, and they worked great on my Dinc

Upvote 0
Even though I really wanted the camera to take some decent pics I have with other phones it was by no means a deal breaker. I just wanted it to be at least as good as others I have had and at this point it isnt. I cant always carry a dedicated camera around with me and with 6 kids sometimes you just have to be fast to take a pic or the moment is gone. I too hope something helps it. Right now its just crap in my book. An old BB pearl I had years ago took better pics lol

Upvote 0
I've always used vignette on android phones, it was always better in my opinion.
Vignette isn't ready for ICS it closes with a java error.
I sent an email to the developers.
I'm wondering if that same java error is why I can't select a background image for google's homepage from the nexus.
Since Oracle sued over java, I wonder if Google did something which is causing problems.

Upvote 0
Camera Zoom FX is a little better then stock but mine has lots of glitches I woder if it's because i'm on a 4.0.3 rom . But it slows down like crazy then frezzes and FC on me . I figure it just hasn't been fully updated to ICS

I don't really mind the camera , I'm a bid disappointed because the Rezound camera was simply amazing and this is just blah okay . However the 720p video on the Nexus is very good imo

Upvote 0
Still makes me think it's software rendering, and not exactly the lens or sensor screwing this thing up. I highly doubt Samsung took subpar parts to make the cam. Something just doesn't seem to be working between the ICS software and the usage of the components. The majority of pics I've seen are too soft, out of focus, and appear to have the ISO cranked up because there is too much artifact in the images.

Man, I hope there is a fix coming to improve the issues. A quick Google search of Iphoneography brings up some pretty amazing stuff. If the Gnex is going to have drawbacks, I'd rather it be on some other dept than the camera.

Reactions: Sandroidfan
Upvote 0
The pics are so bad IMO that in may return it for that reason alone. I was comparing shots against my iPhone 4 and there is no comparison at all, the pics sharper, clearer and with about 1000% less noise.

I was at best buy shopping for my mom a little while ago and was trying out the 4s and it would be almost comical to switch to that from the nexus, but there would be no other android device I would trust at this time to get. Maybe the rezound but not with that red all over it everywhere! Plus it's thick as hell so probably not.

Upvote 0
So, did anyone actually get higher quality shots while using a different camera app?

Nope tried a few apps out to and they all look the same, reading around it seems the GN has the same sensor the nexus s has?? Would they really do that!?!?!!

Just had the daughter get my iPhone 4 out of the truck and now I'm going to decide wtf I am going to do now...

Upvote 0
Nope tried a few apps out to and they all look the same, reading around it seems the GN has the same sensor the nexus s has?? Would they really do that!?!?!!

Just had the daughter get my iPhone 4 out of the truck and now I'm going to decide wtf I am going to do now...

It's not the sensor, unless you got a bad unit. I have taken great pics and there are a few pics posted on this site from people who have taken great pics with this camera.

You need to touch the screen to focus before you take a picture with this phone, if you don't then you are going to get blurry pics.

Upvote 0
So, did anyone actually get higher quality shots while using a different camera app?

I'm getting slightly better pics with camera fx but its slow and fc a lot I don't think its been updated to fully support the nexus or ics

I really love this phone but if I can't take a decent pic I night be going back to the Rezound if they can get it rooted . I'm really bummed about this camera and I didn't even realize how bad the pics were until I looked at them on a computer screen

Upvote 0
It's not the sensor, unless you got a bad unit. I have taken great pics and there are a few pics posted on this site from people who have taken great pics with this camera.

You need to touch the screen to focus before you take a picture with this phone, if you don't then you are going to get blurry pics.

Ya I know how to take pics, same result as the other majority posted here also...crap

Reactions: Crashumbc
Upvote 0
aight ....after sitting in my living room and kitchen taken a boatload of pics i was able to take a bunch that were as clear as my iphone 4. The difference is that the flash must be on with the nexus, even if your lighting does not call for flash. My kitchen is bright as hell and there is no need for a.flash but in.order to take.clear pics thats what i had to do. I try some during daylight tomorrow and see what happens. The trick may be to leave the flash on at all times no.matter what

Upvote 0

I don't own the phone, so take this with a grain of salt. But from what I've played with at the store, all you need to do is hold down the photo button instead of clicking it, and it'll focus just fine.

Upvote 0
This camera is a huge upgrade from the Incredible. I think that most of the pictures are better than the Thunderbolt as well. The front-facing cam is FAR superior to the Thunderbolt camera.

I will try to see if one of my bajillion photo apps works with ICS and makes a noticeable difference and report back, but as of now I don't have a problem with the camera. I think it's just a lot of nitpicking.

Upvote 0
I caved in this morning and returned the Nexus (again!) and got the 4s instead. The last straw was when i was driving in a area of town while on my way to the dump that with the iphone i would maybe get 1 bar of service, but with the Nexus i did not have signal for about 2 miles, never happened before.

Besides that though after wasting a buttload of time playing with the camera this morning trying to get things to work it just was not happening. I got the 4s and the pics are night and day difference. I have a bunch that i uploaded from the nexus and will take the same shots with the 4s when i get a chance later this week and post back for a comparison.

I feel kinda bad though leaving the Nexus, comparing the screens last night between it and my iphone 4 there was no comparison it was much better no doubt. Then i started driving around and while playing with the nexus i started playing with the iphone again as its connected to my car stereo for the ipod functions. All around it was just easier to navigate stuff on the iphone even though everything looked better and worked quicker on the nexus.

So to make a long story short i am back to the iPhone which is disappointing. I can definitely see myself switching back to android though at some point, just need the "perfect" device to land :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones