1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

better game machiene, droid 3 or droid x2?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by mark87, Jul 20, 2011.

1. mark87

mark87 Member
    None

Aug 12, 2010
    Droid x2.
    1gb ram
    8gb internal storage
    Duel core tegra2
    4.3 in screen
    No physical keyboard
    Qhd screen

Droid 3
    512mb ram
    16gb internal storage
    Duel core omap4
    4 in screen
    Slide out querty board
    Qhd screen

Both are very similar but what iam wondering about the most is the difference in ram, internal memory(8gb is kinda small imo), and what's the main difference with the tegra2 and omap4 duel cores and wether or not one is better? Mainly want to play high end gameloft games and will be playing a lot of world of midgard when it comes out. Anyone who can help would be appreciated!

Advertisement

2. Vanquished

Vanquished Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2010
    Male
    Student
    USA
    The 4.3" screen will probably be more enjoyable to play games on, and the 1gb of ram will definately help load things faster as well. The Tegra 2 chip is supposedly the weekest of the 4 dual core processors out right now, but there really isn't anything that pushes the limit for any of them. Tegra probably has the most support at the moment, mainly because it's been out longer. You really can't go wrong with either device. Although 8gb isn't a ton of space, you can always get a 32gb card (which I recommend anyway).

If it were me, I would probably get the x2 for the RAM and the bigger screen.

3. ogrenator

ogrenator Android Enthusiast
    None

May 9, 2010
    Agreed...but it would be downright criminal for us to go to a smaller screen..wouldnt you agree Vanquish? :D

4. esmith818

esmith818 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Web to Print Content Developer
    NC
    FWIW, the X2 only has 512 MB of RAM, and there is an ongoing question as to how much of that is available to 3rd party apps since a portion is reserved for dedicated graphics memory.

Also, while it only comes with an 8 GB SD card, any D1 users can simply swap the card with their old 16GB SD card. Having said that, Motorola has altered how they handle drive space. Apps that install to "SD card" are actually installed to a 4 GB partition of the 8 GB onboard memory. The actual SD card is only for media files (pictures, music, video, etc) so replacing the SD card does not make much of a difference at this point.

I'm not sure if these same issues apply to the D3 (I'm an X2 owner).

I would agree that the larger screen is nicer for gaming and despite some of the issues that people are claiming are due to the Tegra chipset, the fact remains that many game developers are designing apps specifically with Tegra in mind. I suppose OMAP will work too, but Nvidia seems to have some game developers putting out games that are specifically enhanced for the Tegra chipset (sort of like how THX certifies certain optical media). The only question is whether a hardware keyboard is useful depending on the type of gaming you will be doing.