1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Better headphones with mic and remote controller?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Gruuvin, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Gruuvin

Gruuvin Lurker
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    I have a set of $100 Sony earbuds that I tried with my MT4G when I first got it, and they sound really great, but I really wish I could use them to have hands free phone calls, like I can with the factory set of earbuds. Problem is those ones sound really... not great.

Do any companies like Sony or Sennheiser make a better set of headphones with at least a mic, that is compatible with our phones?

How standard is the design of the factory earbuds as far as the way they pass signals to phone (how inter-compatible are these)? Are all HTC headphones designed this way, or just the MT4G? Or pretty much all smartphones?

Will a set designed for an iPhone work (I feel dirty now)?

Advertisement

2. Austin2048

Austin2048 Member
    None

Sep 3, 2010
    i tried a set of iphone earbuds with my mytouch slide. the middle button only worked to play and pause music. the two volume buttons didnt do anything and the mic didnt work. i dont think they will work on the mytouch 4g. i believe they use different drivers

3. mingc

mingc Newbie
    None

Dec 30, 2010
    I have tried 2 1-button remote/mic models that work: a Meelectronics M9P and a Maximo iP-HS5. The button works exactly like the middle button on the stock earbud. I suspect all 1-button models will work.

I'd love to find a compatible 3 button in-ear model, but I'm not holding my breath.

4. Gruuvin

Gruuvin Lurker
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    Thanks for the info guys.

I ended up ordering a set of Klipsch S2m earbuds with mic and a single button that answers/ends calls etc. I read that these headphones were a good buy for the money, worked as designed with the MyTouch 4G phone, and had better reviews than similar headphones by Sony and Sennheiser.

They work right and sound REALLY good for the price -- better than my Sony pair that cost twice as much.

That being said, I now would not recommend Klipsch products because Klipsch does not stand behind their defective products and even erases customer complaints about such matters on their forum.

5. LunchBB

LunchBB Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    I compared the headphones from Nexus One and from MT4g, interesting, the headphone from Nexus One has much better sound fidelity. The difference is noticebale especailly in treble area.

6. ThisIsTiffy

ThisIsTiffy Guest
    None
    are any of these sets in-ear buds? i use my mt4g for music a lot and prefer those kinds.

7. Gruuvin

Gruuvin Lurker
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    I noticed in most reviews of headphones that had multiple buttons, not all buttons worked properly with non-Apple phones. So I opted for headphones reviewed to work with most of our android phones and with a mic and single answer call button. My purchase came down to these:

Klipsch Image S2m
    Sennheiser MM 50
    Sony MDREX38iP

I decided on Klipsch because of the reviews mentioning the outstanding mic / ambient noise canceling quality and numerous reviews complaining about the durability of the Sony and Sennheiser models.

Also, here are some others:

Denon AH-C560R
    Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5vi
    Altec Lansing MZX606
    Altec Lansing MZX406

I have no experience with SkullCandy, Monster, etc. because I can not take seriously the promise of product value from a company who markets "cool factor" based on a name.

Anyhow, I hope the list helps people find a starting point to look for headphones.

MaxxSpeed and Margezilla like this.