• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Better Keyboard" best skins!

Timaphillips

Android Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2009
Just installed Better Keyboard on my Droid, but am not 100% satisfied with the resolution of the keyboard. The default Android keyboard is gorgeous, but the Better Keyboard seems fuzzy. Not illegible by any means, but definitely not up to the task of looking goo don the Droid's screen.

Anybody have any favorite skins they are using that look good? I'm using the Android skin because I liked the way the default keyboard looks.

I use the smoog skin. Works against my generally dark home screen.

Smoog.jpg

Upvote 0
Are they all low res still? I have tried most of these when I was demoing the app, but they all were not doing justice to the resolution of the screen. I don't want to pay for the app until they upgrade like Beautiful Widgets did when the Droid came out...

They're not gross by any means, but you can tell they weren't made for the Droid's screen. To be honest, I don't notice anymore. But I will notice when an update gets pushed out.

Upvote 0
Why do people prefer this? (That was not snide, looking for real answers ). I had it for a little, and was Super frustrated until I figured out that my typing was accidentally 'swiping' to the l33t keyboard, and it made it unusable. I turned it off, and it was nice, but the word prediction was still terrible. I reading people's silly examples before downloading it, and thought it was just a anomaly. But using it, and having it choose words like monopoly over sandwich (not actual example) made me sigh at the time, but when I heard the stock keyboard was improved with update (and it was), I refunded better keyboard and haven't looked back.

There must be options I'm missing, or the ability for it to learn your words over time. Anyway, either of the soft keyboards are tough for me to use with 2 or 3 years of iphone experience I type Very fast and without multitouch it can't really keep up, and often skips letters.

Upvote 0
Why do people prefer this? (That was not snide, looking for real answers ). I had it for a little, and was Super frustrated until I figured out that my typing was accidentally 'swiping' to the l33t keyboard, and it made it unusable. I turned it off, and it was nice, but the word prediction was still terrible. I reading people's silly examples before downloading it, and thought it was just a anomaly. But using it, and having it choose words like monopoly over sandwich (not actual example) made me sigh at the time, but when I heard the stock keyboard was improved with update (and it was), I refunded better keyboard and haven't looked back.

There must be options I'm missing, or the ability for it to learn your words over time. Anyway, either of the soft keyboards are tough for me to use with 2 or 3 years of iphone experience I type Very fast and without multitouch it can't really keep up, and often skips letters.

Are you saying the keyboard is better after the 2.0.1 update? This is the first I've heard of this. I'd expect a keyboard update in January with the 2.1 update. I find the larger keys in better keyboard easier to use, personally. Typing on a soft keyboard has taken some getting used to for sure, though, coming from a Bberry. But no real complaints.

Upvote 0
Are you saying the keyboard is better after the 2.0.1 update? This is the first I've heard of this. I'd expect a keyboard update in January with the 2.1 update. I find the larger keys in better keyboard easier to use, personally. Typing on a soft keyboard has taken some getting used to for sure, though, coming from a Bberry. But no real complaints.

Better touch-pickup. I can put my whole thumb over the key and instead of it picking where the tip of my finger is it does a better job at taking the center, etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones