1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Better or worse reception than Optimus V?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DeerSteak, Aug 2, 2011.

1. DeerSteak

DeerSteak Lurker
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    I have an Optimus V. I like it pretty well with exception to reception that I get at work. I switched from Net10 where I could always get reasonable reception at my office, which admittedly is in a small town in between Sprint cell towers. I knew going in that I might not have reception indoors. I'm curious, though, does the Triumph get better reception on average than the Optimus V? I can *ALMOST* get phone calls OK in my office, but they drop almost every time. Text/MMS works well enough. If I could get from -105 on average up to -95 I think I'd be in good enough shape. At home everything is fine; I get around -90 to -85 dBm indoors (and better outdoors) and everything works as well as can be expected.

So what kind of difference are you seeing between the Optimus V and the Triumph, for those that upgraded (exact numbers depend on location, of course)? Obviously, if reception is not as good as with the Optimus V I won't upgrade, but if it's better in a fashion that's statistically significant, I'll give it a go.

Advertisement

2. JohnACman

JohnACman Member
    None

Mar 12, 2011
    A/C contractor
    Orlando, Fl
    I have both and the OV is a bit better overall. The 3g seems to be about the same but the GPS on the MT is far slower. I don't use mine for talking much so can give an opinion on that.

3. ceejay83

ceejay83 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    OV does have better reception. around -10 dbm better for me. hoping there will be an update or rom/kernerl that will fix the triumph

4. Prey521

Prey521 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    After a week with this phone I'm jealous of my wifes Optimus V....this phone is a heapin POS so far.

5. motoracer1486

motoracer1486 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    Optimus V has WAY better reception...Way better...

6. DeerSteak

DeerSteak Lurker
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    Okie dokey then, I can save my money. Thanks guys.

7. KryptoNyte

KryptoNyte Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 21, 2011
    Yep, sorry to say DS, it's significantly worse, at least in my experience.

8. Chris951

Chris951 Member
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    Arizona
    Makes me glad I didn't hop on the bandwagon and get a Triumph right when it came out like everyone else lol. I am perfectly fine with my Optimus

9. tcklord

tcklord Member
    None

Apr 11, 2011
    I would stay stick with the optimus V as well. I got a triumph to try out as I have the same issue can barely make calls from my office but can text fine with the V. The Triumph was a lot worse. I am hoping they fix some of these issues and I will buy it again because I do like the screen and processor.

10. cutterjohn

cutterjohn Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    On mine, side by side when we first got these, likely 7/14 or 7/15 the OV has 5dBm higher signal than my MT which roughly translated into bars meant where the OV usually got 2, the MT had usually 1-2.

So what we decided if you were in an already marginal coverage area for the OV that the MT just wasn't going to cut it.

OTOH WiFi range on my MT seems to be better than the OV, and throughput is quite a bit higher IIRC.

[EDIT]
    OTOH I still see the 1-2 bars(poor choice for comparing signal strength) the tower that Open Signal app says that I'm using now is due N of me, while when I first got the MT it was showing a tower to the ESE of where I was testing from. The tower due N was what the OV always showed every time I checked at that location.
    [/EDIT]

11. androidfonefan

androidfonefan Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    To OP

I had the Optimus V and have the Triumph. While I am almost satisfied with the Triumph.
    I was very happy with the Optimus V. If the V had had a 4 inch screen I would have kept it. The screen size was the only thing I didn't like about that phone.

The Triumph does not show signal as strong but it picks up calls in all the same areas that I did with the V. My internet and GPS with this phone are crap compared to what I had with my V and its poor performance has almost got me going back and paying for a new V just to get my service quality back.
    That or leaving Virgin Mobile and getting something from Sprint. Not liking the contract idea though.

12. ceejay83

ceejay83 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 22, 2011
    wifi range isn't as good as my OV. can't connect in places my OV could