• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Better voice dial app?

wonderbread

Android Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2009
One thing conspicuously missing so far is a good voice dialer. The one that comes with the phone isn't great at recognizing and it has the annoying confirm message "do you want to call BLAH" just like phones had in the 90's. As far as I can tell the voice dialer doesn't have an option to stop confirming. The voice search and VTT feature has excellent accuracy so why can't I say "call sarah" on the voice search and have it call sarah much like i can say "navigate to" and it will launch navigator? Anyhow, anyone find a solution to this or find an alternative app that does voice dialing well?

The voice search and VTT feature has excellent accuracy so why can't I say "call sarah" on the voice search and have it call sarah much like i can say "navigate to" and it will launch navigator?

Doing exactly this should work. It is part of Android - "call [name]". Has some part of sense overwritten it?

Try holding down the magnifying glass (search) button and the voice search prompt should come up.

Upvote 0
Doing exactly this should work. It is part of Android - "call [name]". Has some part of sense overwritten it?

Try holding down the magnifying glass (search) button and the voice search prompt should come up.
I tried that but thought it didn't work because it didn't call my contact. After playing with it some more it seems that it won't call facebook contacts, even if they have a phone number, it only will call google contacts. If you say "Call blah" and blah is a facebook contact it will just search google.com for "call blah". Even if I link my facebook contact to it's google contact, it still won't call that person unless I fill in the mobile number of the google contact, even if the mobile number appears in the linked facebook contact. Whew.

Upvote 0
It's not voice dialing, but try "gesture search" for something to quickly find the right contact. It works very well.

I find voice dialing to be pretty frustrating and mostly useless.
I also like Gesture Search. Funny thing is tho that gesture search also doesn't find this "sarah" contact, yet she is in people.

UPDATE: Ah, ok, so I did MENU, refresh index and now she comes up :)

Upvote 0
I have to call any one of about 2000 contacts often while driving. I replaced a samsung i760 with the incredible and have been thrilled with everything except voice dial and that's one of the most important things I need. Voice dial on the samsung worked PERFECTLY. Does anyopne have any idea who developed the voice dialer for windows mobile and if they have an app for android?

Upvote 0
I fully agree that Voice dialing is is a "must have" functionality. On a very old Sony Erricson K750i (a beautiful piece of device still working after 4 years !) voice dialing was perfect. Does anyone know of an Andoid app working for HTC Desire ? I mean really working, at least for the Contacts stored in the Favorites folder, not all of them... BTW working with the Headset is essential since I need this functionality while driving...

Upvote 0
I have to call any one of about 2000 contacts often while driving. I replaced a samsung i760 with the incredible and have been thrilled with everything except voice dial and that's one of the most important things I need. Voice dial on the samsung worked PERFECTLY. Does anyopne have any idea who developed the voice dialer for windows mobile and if they have an app for android?

Look for an app called vlingo. It is the best I've seen. Even lets you send texts by voice. Very accurate.

Reactions: wonderbread
Upvote 0
I downloaded Vlingo (beta version for Android). It is working very well on my HTC Desire. Now I can really say: "Call xxx yyy" and it's dialing ! Of course try to pronounce well... And change the name for the hard to recognize contacts... :)
You were able to download it recently? If so can you please give us a link or QR

Upvote 0
This guy points to it on RapidShare:
Android App Vlingo Beta 1.3.0 | JustinIde.net

Risky..

Looks like vlingo has it here, uncompliled? I am new to android so I am not sure..
http://www.vlingo.com/androidbeta
Thanks for the links. I tried the 2nd link and it worked great. Use HTC Sync to install it from the computer or you can copy it to your SD card and then open it in a file manager.

update: really great app! very accurate and you can do things like "email sarah subject hi message what's up?". Very nice. Only nit pick would be that I wish they had a icon sized widget instead of a four icon length widget to start the search.

Upvote 0
That's for the links. I tried the 2nd link and it worked great. Use HTC Sync to install it from the computer or you can copy it to your SD card and then open it in a file manager.

update: really great app! very accurate and you can do things like "email sarah subject hi message what's up?". Very nice. Only nit pick would be that I wish they had a icon sized widget instead of a four icon length widget to start the search.

I haven't setup htc sync (I have a thing about installing software from hardware companies unless I have to) and I tire of playing the SD swapping game (especially at work since it says the card is write protected, wtf). What I do is upload the file to google docs from my computer, then download it on the phone.

Upvote 0
That's for the links. I tried the 2nd link and it worked great. Use HTC Sync to install it from the computer or you can copy it to your SD card and then open it in a file manager.

So the download directly from vlingo is what you used? Since there was no apk, how do you install it? I am new to Android...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones