1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

BEWARE- 4g outage upgrade

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by surfboard3r, Dec 28, 2011.

1. surfboard3r

surfboard3r Member

I went to best buy to upgrade my phone to the nexus, unlucky for me the 4g coverage is out in my area. But, the guys at best buy didnt know. So they got to activate my phone and I sit there for an hour waiting for it to work and it never does. But since the activation started, my phone is in a kind of limbo, my old phone doesnt have a connection and my new phone is not activated. So, i have no phone at all. The only way to fix it is to wait for 4g to start working again.

Moral of the story- dont go to upgrade your phone to the nexus unless you are sure that 4g is working in your area.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. clb2196

clb2196 Android Enthusiast

*head desk* Not surprised they didn't know, really. I was actually at a BB today when my data was gone, and I thought about asking someone in the mobile dept if they knew of a Verizon outage, then figured they probably wouldn't know anything. But you think it'd be a pretty basic step (especially since it's the 3rd time this month) to check before they tried to activate.

Looks like people are starting to get coverage back (mine's back in Boston) so hopefully it won't be much longer!

3. vandyman

vandyman Android Expert

I am not sure what you are saying. I only have 3G in my area and it only takes about 5 minutes to activate a CDMA/LTE phone. It should not have anything to do with the data link of 4G vs 3G.

Sandroidfan likes this.
  4. shiftmx72

shiftmx72 Newbie

Same exact thing happened to me today... Sat at the store waiting for an hour and a half told them ill just wait it out at home, then 11 HOURS later finally activated.

(OH...by the way this phone is pretty awesome.)

5. jse2480

jse2480 Newbie

I'm having the same problem, except I was at a VZW store. They replaced my SIM, thinking it was a problem with the card, and while waiting for 4G signal, he learned of the network outage. They thought it wasn't activating (at the time) due to the lack of 4G. However, 4G came back and it still wouldn't activate.

It seems that the problem isn't the network outage, it's their internal system by which they activate the SIMs. I called VZW customer service and he verified that he could see my new SIM in the system as "pending."

I've had 4G data most of the day, but I cannot make any phone calls or receive any texts.

Hopefully it's fixed by the morning. If not, try rebooting your phone in the morning and see if it changes.

EDIT: I just rebooted my phone and it took a couple minutes, but it activated. It only worked when I turned wifi off before rebooting so that it booted up on 4G

6. crackers8199

crackers8199 Android Enthusiast

This is 100% false. I bought my nexus in a 3g only market and it was working before I even left the store.

7. clb2196

Many of us lost *all* data in this outage, not just 4G. Even if I switched to CDMA only mode I couldn't connect. No connection, no activation.

8. vandyman

vandyman Android Expert

I understand that, I have lost all data for a breif time yesterday as well.

But, as I said above you do not need 4G to activate a sim.

9. clb2196

Can you activate with no data connection at all, no 3G or 4G?

10. vandyman

vandyman Android Expert

You do need data to activate the sim. It is done via VZW's server.

11. 2003vstrom

2003vstrom Android Enthusiast

yeah I don`t live in a 4g area, it was like 5 minutes after turning my Nexus on and it was activated with 3g:)

12. clb2196

Right. So during the data outage, if you have no 3G and no 4G, no data at all, how can you activate then?

13. jraskell

jraskell Newbie

Calling these outages 4G outages is a bit of a nisnomer. While the problem is only happening on 4G capable phones in 4G areas, the truth is when the outage occurs, those phones lose ALL data. My phone only had voice yesterday afternoon/evening, and even that was at a substantially lower quality than it normally is.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews