1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Beware : Words with friends eating up battery

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by inphoenix, Feb 15, 2011.

1. DaveG

DaveG Member
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    Definitely eating up the battery on my LG Optimus S. The phone sat on the charger all night and in the morning I saw a notification that it was my turn to play. The battery was at 89% and the icon didn't indicate it as charging, either. This has never happened before, as my battery is always completely full after charging all night long.

Unrelated to battery life, but last night I noticed that it was my turn in 2 separate games but I had been the last one to make a move so the game obviously wouldn't let me make another move.

I uninstalled this morning and am back to my better battery life already. The game is fun though so I'll try it again if issues are resolved in a future release.

Advertisement

2. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert
    None

Jun 15, 2010
    No problems with Droid X here. Played two games yesterday(albeit only about 12 total turns) but I kept checking in on the games throughout the day and looking at the boards and my letters a good bit. My battery lasted until 11:00 pm and still had like 30% left.

BUT my phone was doing goofy things all day. Go Launcher did some funky things and my camera button went inactive for a while. Strange.

3. inphoenix

inphoenix Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    in Phoenix. Duh!
    Yes, I noticed that bug too.

4. TexasAg03

TexasAg03 Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    Mechanical Engineer
    Denison, Texas
    I was most definitely killing my Droid X battery. I uninstalled and battery life was back to normal.

5. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert
    None

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Did anyone who is taking a battery hit with WWF change the notification settings to much less frequency and did that help?

These appear to be pull notifications which would have a much bigger battery hit than using android 2.2 C2DM push notifications.

I'd think turning off the pull notifications would help a lot, especially if you are not on wifi and not in a real strong signal area.

6. inphoenix

inphoenix Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    in Phoenix. Duh!
    Yes, changing notification to 6 hours helped with battery but still uses more battery than Wordfeud which has real time notifications.

You are correct. These look like pull notifications (read apple style / from dark ages). Zynga needs to get their sh*t together. 1500 employees and they can't fix this??

7. BORIStheBLADE

BORIStheBLADE Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 15, 2009
    Electrician
    San Jose, CA
    The first day it came out the battery on my Incredible went down really fast. After a restart I didn't have the same problem.

The latest update for the game you can set notification frequency.

8. DaveG

DaveG Member
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    Do the settings allow you to set the pull (notification) frequency to NONE? I'd be interested in reinstalling if there was such an option as I only really care to login to the game once or twice a day and then at that time check and see if it is my turn.

9. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert
    None

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Yes you can set notifications to never.

10. esmith818

esmith818 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Web to Print Content Developer
    NC
    3 strange observations for me (and yes, my battery has been draining faster than ever since installing WWF, although I assumed it was due to the screen time and the notifications):

1) I can not find the settings. Pressing the menu button does nothing for me and nothing on screen appears to lead there either.
    2) WWF does not appear in my list of installed apps in the market.
    3) Notifications work infrequently for me. Sometimes there is an icon in my notification bar and sometimes I open the game without one only to find several games waiting on me.

CORRECTION: I found the account settings. Now to see if turning off notifications helps. Default setting of 5 minutes?!

11. actofgod

actofgod Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    NY
    I did not find anywhere to change the settings, only account settings...weird

12. maverick777

maverick777 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    Vibrant user here. It's definitely draining my battery. Very noticeable over night. My phone is at 100% when I go to bed and usually down 20% when I get up for work. Prior to WFF, my phone would only drain 5% max overnight. During the day, while I'm using the phone my battery is drained by the afternoon where before I could get through the day easily. I'm not uninstalling WFF just yet, but I hope they fix the drain soon.

13. godfatherip

godfatherip Newbie
    None

Jan 4, 2010
    Add me to the list of ppl who have seen it totally destroy their battery. I just checked and it was at 35% (my screen was 2nd at 32%, normally it is always 1st) since I last unplugged even though I have disabled notifications and did not even play since I last unplugged, guess I'll use Ti backup to freeze it when I'm not playing. I'm on Droid 1 running CM7.

14. drhappy

drhappy Lurker
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    Game responsible for 88% of the battery use overnight. I am embarrassed to admit I cannot find the settings to change notifications. I found application settings but don't see what I need there. The menu button does nothing while the application is open. Newbie (obviously) DroidX user. I appreciate in advance somebody clueing me in on this.

15. OneKillaVolt

OneKillaVolt Lurker
    None

Feb 22, 2011
    mytouch 4g user here. my phone was able to last a day and a half before i installed words. setting the notifications to never still drained my battery in about 8 hours. definitely task killing this app, or gonna switch to wordfeud altogether

16. Jabrnet

Jabrnet Lurker
    None

Feb 20, 2010
    So in 1 hour and 36 minutes since full battery, WWF has used 38% battery, Display 22% and battery at 30% life... This is ridiculous.

17. godfatherip

godfatherip Newbie
    None

Jan 4, 2010
    For those looking to turn off notifications it is under account settings (there is a button with 3 little gears on the page that shows your games), however turning off notifications doesn't fix the battery drain (or at least it didn't for me). Unfortunately it seems the app does not get closed properly when you exit out and continues running in the background and using battery. The only way around this I have found is to use the android force stop option or use a task manager to kill it each time after you exit the app. It still uses an excessive amount of battery while you are playing considering it doesn't have any fancy graphics and shouldn't require much internet usage (except for all those stupid ads) but at least by killing it each time you won't have your battery drained while you aren't even playing. The thing burns through battery faster than any app I have seen including much more demanding games like ex Zeus and robo defense. While playing the game it uses battery faster than my display, wtf? Something is definitely wrong, hopefully they will patch it in a hurry.

18. ospreys

ospreys Guest
    None
    definitely has a big impact on battery (Samsung Galaxy S) Had pretty good battery life before installing this. Now it wipes battery out and probably drains my battery about 60% quicker than without it.

19. bvo26

bvo26 Newbie
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Irving, TX
    While the game is running, my Droid gets really hot pretty fast (within 5 minutes). I definitely do not leave the game running when i'm not playing (hit the back button until it exits the game). Battery does seem to go pretty fast with this game installed and used.

20. thehaggis

thehaggis Newbie
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    Killed both our Dx's in about 2 hours from 80 - 70% extended batteries. Back of phones were rather hot. I'm assuming cell signal checks and server refreshes for new moves are responsible. ADDICTIVE F'N game, jeez.

21. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert
    None

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Turn off notifications. That helps a ton.

22. gctrullinger

gctrullinger Member
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    Student
    Berkeley, CA
    I unplugged my Droid X around 7am this morning and 4 hours later, I'm at 50% battery life with WWF reportedly responsible for 26% of what was used. I opened the app twice to check turns (since the notifications are hit or miss), but I didn't even play at all.

I'll try turning notifications off to see if it helps. Otherwise, I've been trying to remember to force stop it every time I exit the app. Come on, Zynga...

23. mplevy

mplevy Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    New York, USA
    I've had it on my Droid since Tuesday and haven't noticed any significant battery drain. I unplugged my phone from charge at 5:30 this AM, it's now 3:30 PM and I'm down to 50% left. Keep in mind, I run the phone on WiFi as much as possible and WiFi never gets turned off even. I looked at the battery usage, WWF shows it's responsible for 4%.

24. jac1599

jac1599 Newbie
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Haven't noticed a difference on my Optimus T. It's not listed in my battery usage stats at all.

25. binder

binder Newbie
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    Mine is the same on wf and wwf. The battery life is from data streaming when the app is open. I have sever battery drain when I play a lot which is the same on my iPhone.