• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Big Changes at Android Forums

I leave a browser open to the site all the time, often on a Vista machine. I check in daily, but don't always post. All I remember was Pale Moon declaring the site as malicious and wouldn't allow me to login, but on IE 8 it worked fine, with Javascript turned off. Pale Moon is derived from modern Firefox but looks like Firefox 3.x, so it falls victim to all the 'Quantum' idiot proofing.

During the same time, MS Edge on a Windows 11 machine had its own 'this site is not safe to visit' error page. It was not showing from the site, but a local MS Edge error page according to the URL. Not even 'internet explorer mode' fixed it. I had to sideload Firefox 3.x from 2010 and it worked then, with Javascript disabled. (with it on, you can't get the text box to post things to display)

Any time I got met with a 'this site is down for maintenance' it was fine if I refreshed. That happened if the PC went to sleep, for some reason, and I woke it up, the browser would show that for a second and would auto-refresh or let me manually refresh and it loaded fine.

Upvote 0
I'm sure you're aware that older OSs like Vista, XP and Windows 7 haven't been supported with security patches for years... scraper programs LOOK for computers like yours to exploit an open port and assimilate it into a botnet. I'd love to replace Windows with Linux on the desktop and it's a process.

At any rate, what is the maximum file size for uploads? I have tried to upload photos and keep getting stopped for file size. Hey Xforo, t's 2023 and cell phone cameras don't shoot VGA files!

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
I don't recall ever seeing a limit on file size. Unfortunately, most photos I want to share end up being stupid webp images that no forum in the world supports.

Scraper programs would have a hard time getting past my AVG Pro antivirus, VPN, and hardware firewall. I ain't stupid. Those apps still support Windows 7 and Vista (XP only gets definition updates but I was never fond of XP in the first place)

Just don't visit sketchy sites and you'll be fine. I've dealt with tons more hacking problems and browser hijacks on Windows 10/11. A new OS doesn't guarantee immunity. If anything, many of those browser hijacks wouldn't even be supported in IE these days. Besides, why would any hacker want to target the 1%? Ever hear of security by obsolescence? Most they'd get would be a grandmother's cat photos.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
Click on Report lower left hand corner of their post. I reported that person about 5 minutes ago
Ah. I don’t have that option, at least in the mobile page:

39926E8E-9EB7-4B62-99EF-E09FDBE6FB9A.jpeg

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones