• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Big Difference in Data Speeds

STEP11. How to obtain your MSL or "MASTER SECURITY LOCK" which most companies including VIRGIN MOBILE won't give to you here's howownload and install aLogcat (free) from the
Android Market.
Run "ALOGCAT" and set it to "FILTER" by pressing the MENU type in "SEC_CODE " press home and
Go to your Phone and dial ##33284#
When prompted for the MSL, type 000000.
Now, go back to aLogcat. It should have found a
"sec_ code:" line with your MSL code at the end
of it. It's 6 digits. That's your MSL save it!
Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
STEP11. How to obtain your MSL or "MASTER SECURITY LOCK" which most companies including VIRGIN MOBILE won't give to you here's howownload and install aLogcat (free) from the
Android Market.
Run "ALOGCAT" and set it to "FILTER" by pressing the MENU type in "SEC_CODE " press home and
Go to your Phone and dial ##33284#
When prompted for the MSL, type 000000.
Now, go back to aLogcat. It should have found a
"sec_ code:" line with your MSL code at the end
of it. It's 6 digits. That's your MSL save it!
Hope that helps.
Thank you.

Upvote 0
I was getting AVERAGING 167k down / 336k up on stock. tried PRL's 011120,01115,01114. Of all of them found 011120 to help me the best. I first tried all of them without prop.build code and didn't notice a huge difference but there was a change. then tried them all with the prop.build code and the was an even bigger increase. with PRL 011120 and code im AVERAGING 1020k down 820k up. Point to remember to get MSL and to do all PRL changes you need stock virgin mobile ROM, i used a detoxed version on one of the threads. Not sure if location makes a difference but im in Philadelphia, PA. Thank you so much for this browsing is so much better and so is tethering. :)

Upvote 0
;)

http://ausdroid.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/huawei-ideos-x6-inhand-640x480.jpg

huawei-ideos-x6-inhand-640x480.jpg

Holy Similar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Hi! Im a noob to the technical stuff. I rooted and flashed CM7 on my Triumph last week. My data speeds are horrible. I am thinking about changing the PRL but I have a few questions before I decide. Ive read some of the comments and I see different PRLs in the posts. What is the difference between the PRLs. Also, the buildpropfile, which one do I use (please type the file name exactly how I would input it into the prop file), where in the propfile do I put this file(in the end of the file or after what file), and is this propfile necessary when I change PRLs.
To find my msl, in the instructions, it says click this link, but there is no link. Further down, someone gives a link to this but when I click on it, it says url not found.
In the instructions, it says to open device manager, what is device manager? Is it a app I have to download?
At what point in the instructions do I connect my phone to my labtop via usb?
Also, what is QPST, is that a app I have to install too, or a file on the phone. Where can I find it?
Now, once everything is done, what are the steps to verifying the PRL. Thanks for all your feedback.

Upvote 0
I have a question about the buildpropfile. Someone said in a earlier post that they added ro.product.rat=EvDo only that to the propfile and they said their speeds tripled without changing the PRL. I tried that, adding it to the end of the prop file and nothing changed, speed wise. Does this file need to be added between two specific files? Also, when I added this file, in es explorer, I now have another folder named build.prop.bak, is this normal?
Thanks for your feedback.

Upvote 0
Hi! Im a noob to the technical stuff. I rooted and flashed CM7 on my Triumph last week. My data speeds are horrible. I am thinking about changing the PRL but I have a few questions before I decide. Ive read some of the comments and I see different PRLs in the posts. What is the difference between the PRLs. Also, the buildpropfile, which one do I use (please type the file name exactly how I would input it into the prop file), where in the propfile do I put this file(in the end of the file or after what file), and is this propfile necessary when I change PRLs.
To find my msl, in the instructions, it says click this link, but there is no link. Further down, someone gives a link to this but when I click on it, it says url not found.
In the instructions, it says to open device manager, what is device manager? Is it a app I have to download?
At what point in the instructions do I connect my phone to my labtop via usb?
Also, what is QPST, is that a app I have to install too, or a file on the phone. Where can I find it?
Now, once everything is done, what are the steps to verifying the PRL. Thanks for all your feedback.

Changing the PRL is changing the Priority Roaming List. Since this phone doesn't roam, it shouldn't make a difference. But people have said it does for them. You cannot do this on a 2.3 ROM, it has to be done on stock.

As far as your other questions, I don't know. I never saw the need to change mine, so I can't tell you about the files or links.

I don't really think that this will do much for you, but your mileage may vary.

Upvote 0
I have a question about the buildpropfile. Someone said in a earlier post that they added ro.product.rat=EvDo only that to the propfile and they said their speeds tripled without changing the PRL. I tried that, adding it to the end of the prop file and nothing changed, speed wise. Does this file need to be added between two specific files? Also, when I added this file, in es explorer, I now have another folder named build.prop.bak, is this normal?
Thanks for your feedback.

Changing that just enables 3g only so your phone never goes into 1x so I doubt it would make any speed difference unless your phone likes going into 1x when there is 3g around... And yes the "build.prop.bak" is normal its the backup file of the original build.prop.

Upvote 0
I have a triumph that is rooted and flashed with CM7. It seems like Im having problems with my signal. I am usually getting 1 bar at home, 2 if Im lucky. I downloaded the app OpenSignal and the last couple of days, it has connected to at least 3 towers within a mile of where Im at (according to this app), and still, I have not gotten more than two bars on my signal. My speeds according to this app are around 50mb. Am I suppose to be getting a stronger signal and faster downloads with these towers being close? In the OpenSignal app, it shows being connected to one of these towers but Ive noticed at times it will just change to a different tower. Is this normal??
Also, Ive noticed, When I make a phone call, it takes several minutes for the 3G to come back on (signal turns green), is it always suppose to do this??
Also, I inserted the build prop file (ro.product.rat=EvDo only) just above the the wifi file with ES Explorer. From what I gathered, this is supposed to keep me on 3G but it still goes to 1x quite often. Is there anything I can do, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks for the feedback..

Upvote 0
HERE IS A QUICK STEP BY STEP IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GO THROUGH ALL THE STUFF ON THE OTHER FORUM:

REQUIRED TOOLS/SOFTWARE:

Motorola Triumph USB cable- Others may work but this cable was designed for use with the phone, use it if possible.
Stock Phone Driver- Found on the phone when connected via USB. This driver should be installed before attempting any modifications.
QPST 2.7 Build 366- This is what I use, other versions may work as well.
Sprint PRL 01115- This is the latest version of the Sprint PRL and includes the most recently added towers. Using another carriers PRL might eventually allow the Triumph to be used on another carrier if you can get the ESN added to that carriers database, but that's another issue that I'll leave for someone else to test down the road. Just use the Sprint PRL.
MotoConnect- Not technically required but makes the detection process easier due to notification windows.
NOTE: Phone does not need to be rooted to complete this guide.

HOW TO SWAP YOUR PRL:

First things first, make sure you have the required software and drivers installed and that they appear to be working correctly.

Now its time to get your MSL. Thanks goes to mmarz over at XDA for originally discovering this method.

1. Log into your Virgin Mobile account.
2. Click this link.
3. Although you get a 404 error page, search the page for "msl:"
4. The six numbers after msl: are your MSL code. Write them down.

Now that you have your MSL I suggest you put it into a notepad document and save it.

The next step is to identify what COM ports your particular computer uses to connect with the Triumph. Open your device manager on your computer and expand the

Reactions: jas21
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I loaded the most recent sprint one on mine, but got trouble later on with it saying I was in a private sprint area or something of that sort... So I loaded the stock one, my question is did it give any of you an error? The number in the prl changed back, so it seems to have worked, and seems to be fixed, I just don't remember the error the first time i loaded the sprint prl. Btw i tried the 60685, which seemed to work really good for a little bit. My issue is I have no towers in my area at all, so it just sucks for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones