1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Big help needed with updating Samsung Galaxy S to Gingerbread :(

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Lbayar, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Lbayar

Lbayar Lurker
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    Hello everyone,

I am really stuck for information. I am having alot of trouble with updating my Samsung Galaxy S i9000 to Gingerbread.

On saturday, I began the process of the update via Kies. Everything was connected properly and wifi was as good.
    It got to the "Upgrading firmware stage" where the green triangle displays. It hung there for over an hour with 0% on the screen. I left it for another hour and then rang Samsung which they informed me that I should just pull the USB and take it to a repairs shop as its obviously crashed.
    I did that today where the shop flashed the phone. They said at the shop that they couldnt put Gingerbread on as there was a problem with the flash file so I Got it back with Froyo, which I was ok about because I thought I'd do it once I got back. I tried my sim card in it before taking it home and it worked perfectly fine just as I expected.
    Once I got home, I started the process again on a different computer, with a fresh installed Kies program running, its been over 2 hours again, and the green/yellow triangle has disappeared and is replaced by a blank purple screen. I have never come across this before when updating a phone. I've tried a google search for it but with no luck.

Please can you help me as I am thinking I will need to take it back to the shop tomorrow to flash it once again.... I am so disheartened at this point :(

Thanks again. If I can I will try to upload a picture of the phone in its current state to show you whats happening.

Thanks once again and hope to hear something soon

Advertisement

2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Welcome, moving this to the Samsung Galaxy S sub-forum to see if other owners could help you.

3. Lbayar

Lbayar Lurker
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    Still nothing on the phone or the computer screens. Screen on phone still purple.

What should I do??? I really need help with this

4. R4nd0mJ0k3r

R4nd0mJ0k3r Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Male
    Sales Team Leader / Web Developer @ Maplin Electro
    Liverpool, England, UK
    If a qualified Samsung engineer in a Samsung store was unable to update your phone to Gingerbread I think it highly unlikely that it will work for you at home.

If I were you, I'd take it back to the shop and demand (ever so politely of course) that they either upgrade your current phone to Gingerbread or swap it for a new one that is either on 2.3.3 or upgradable to it. At the end of the day, you should always Factory Reset after a firmware flash, and this is practically like getting a new phone anyway since it wipes all apps, texts, emails etc.

- R4nd0mJ0k3r

5. stevenn21

stevenn21 Newbie
    None

Jun 7, 2011
    i had the same issue with a htc hero the phone is faulty take it back for a replacement phone its the only way foward.
    i now own a samsung galaxy s i900 and upgraded the firmware yesterday to gingerbread much better os

6. Lbayar

Lbayar Lurker
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    Hello everyone,

Thank you both for all your help.

I will ring them today for help. Interestingly, I have called Samsung again for the 4th time and now they are saying its to the with the network providers. Im on Tmobile and they are saying that as you need a simcard inside the phone to update the phone, Tmobile isnt so far supporting Gingerbread :thinking:
    and thats why its crashing everytime. Apparently, this is the same with Orange. They're not supporting Gingerbread either. So far, Only Vodafone and O2 are supporting it according to what hes saying.

I am not sure if this is the case or if they are fobbing me off here. The gentleman on the phone said he was having the same issues and that he was on Tmob aswell and is going to try to update the phone but with a different network simcard in.

what do you guys think about this? is this heard of to happen??

I will try to call Carphone Warehouse and ask them for their assistance.

thanks again for all your help.