1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Big list of questions/problems

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by wallet, Oct 12, 2011.

1. wallet

wallet Lurker
    None

Oct 12, 2011
    Ok im pretty much an android noob. I got a Nexus S earlier in the year when they were released but I got rid of it becuase it was pretty much unusable with the bugs in Gingerbread on release. I now got a Galaxy S2 a few weeks ago and am having a blast with it. Just got a few things that I need help with sorting out for better use of this phone.

1. I currently use Windows Live Mail 2011 for all my private email and calendar appointments. Is there any way I can use that to sync with the android calender? Can you suggest a desktop mail client that will do this?

2. Using the stock messaging app on the phone under touchwiz picture MMS messages sent and recieved are a short video (3-10 seconds). Ive downloaded handcent sms and they appear as pictures so its a bug with the samsung messaging app somewhere. Can anyone recommend a good sms app? Is handcent still regarded as the best?

3. Is there any way for the standard email client to check pop email accounts over certain intervals? I only see a option for push or manual check. Im going to try setting up all my email to be routed through gmail is this advisable?

4. Any way to get push on facebook comments or updates?

5. For example I have 30 people in my contact list. When I go to type a SMS theres nearly 100 in the contact list. It has several double ups of some people.

6. My old gmail account which I used when I had my nexus s had a few app purchases in it. Is there any way to transfer that over to my new account?

7. When I put the phone into the dock it goes into the dock mode leaving the screen on all the time or just displaying time on the screen. Is there any way to disable this coming on?

8. Is there a way to set the alarm on the phone to just do a short beep (5-10 seconds) every hour to a hour and a half during the day? Just like to set that up as a reminder to hop up out of my chair and do a lap around the office.

9. What is the best app for exchange email and calender sync? If possible id like to keep that separate from my private stuff. Prefereably an add free one.

Advertisement

2. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    You probably should have this moved to the Galaxy S2 forum. It seems some of your questions are specific to the GS2. I can answer a few for you.

I have been unable to get push notifications with the official Facebook app. I use FriendCaster Pro for push notifications. There is a thread in the Android Applications forums that suggests you first activate push notifications with a BlackBerry and then switch it an Android phone. I haven't tried it myself.

All app purchases are tied to the Gmail account. If you use the same account on your GS2 as you did on your Nexus S, you will have access to all apps you paid for under that Gmail account.

3. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    I answered the questions I could. There are some things that are probably unique to your phone, so I didn't want to give answers on those or the things I was not sure about. This should be a good start though.

And welcome to the forum!

4. wallet

wallet Lurker
    None

Oct 12, 2011
    Ok thanks a lot guys

will look into all those.

5. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    Male
    Private Security
    Seattle
    I just now found this app that can speak the time to you at designated intervals, might help. I haven't tried it yet, I just installed it. Saw it on an app deal since the price just went from $4.99 to free :D

Voice Alerts

6. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Android Expert
    None

Jan 18, 2011
    Chime Time

7. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    You can link your Windows Live Calendar to Google Calendar on your Google account. If you prefer desktop client, you can link your Windows Live Mail program to Outlook, and then the bundled Samsung Kies can sync to Outlook. Note that this will not sync to your Google Calendar as Kies can only sync to the offline database on your phone.

Not sure for Handcent regarded as the best, as I ditched that after 2 days of trying GO SMS. You could try that.

Gmail app uses push. Anyway, on your Email app, unless Samsung changed the options, you should go into a particular email account, bring up account settings>email check frequency.

This is a facebook app problem. Tweetdeck or Friendcaster are able to get facebook updates and comment notifications no problems, but the facebook app cant for some reason.

Check if you have set to show phone and gmail, or if either of the contacts are actually facebook contacts. The phone shows both your contacts, then looks for their facebook profiles and puts it in your contact lists too. You can merge these contacts into one contact.

If you add the old gmail account into the accounts and sync, menu, you should then go to the market app and go to "manage accounts" and switch the account used to the old one.

Dont put it on the dock? :)

For recurring events I usually set it as an Astrid Task (using Astrid app). I make a task, in your case "make one lap around office". Then set it to alarm every hour and a half.

Android has a native function for Exchange using Active Sync. You should try checking this thread:

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...id-without-3rd-party-app-exchange-server.html

This basically lets you sync to Windows Live services instead of Google.