• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Big problems with Magic after failed update

Forts

Aug 6, 2010
I'm hoping someone can help me here.. I've been reading for hours with little success. Basically.. My magic was running Cyanogen 6 stable but I was experiencing issues with the radio locking up and losing connectivity. So I downloaded the new RUU from the Rogers site and thought I would load up the stock 2.1 firmware and see how that radio was. I started the update and it got up 'Updating Radio_V2' and failed with the little progress bar on the phone at approx 98% complete. Now it just reboots to the RUU menu. I tried an older version of the updater, and it too fails when the radio update is almost complete. Trying to run the new updater now gives me a signature error.

Am I totally screwed here or does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might try? Any input is greatly appreciated at this point! Thanks!!

It doesn't appear to have any recovery now... no matter what I do, it always comes up to the RUU screen.

SAPPHIRE PVT 32A SHIP S-ON H
HBOOT-1.76.0008 (SAPP50000)
CPLD-12
RADIO-3.22.20.17
Nov 3 2009, 15:56:29

It seems I can also send files with flashboot, but everything comes back as Failed (remote: 12 signature verify fail)

Upvote 0
It doesn't appear to have any recovery now... no matter what I do, it always comes up to the RUU screen.

SAPPHIRE PVT 32A SHIP S-ON H
HBOOT-1.76.0008 (SAPP50000)
CPLD-12
RADIO-3.22.20.17
Nov 3 2009, 15:56:29

It seems I can also send files with flashboot, but everything comes back as Failed (remote: 12 signature verify fail)

Run the RUU again. You may even have to create a Goldcard to get the update to apply.

gbd

Upvote 0
I've run a few different RUU's multiple times, and they either give me a signature error or the update starts and freezes 98% thru writing the radio. If I try to write anything in flashboot, it will accept the files, but again all the writes fail.

I have a goldcard in the phone as well, using the file I created a few months ago to root the phone. Perhaps I need to redo the goldcard and try that route. Also, while RUU and flashboot both see the phone, ADB never seems to.

Upvote 0
I've run a few different RUU's multiple times, and they either give me a signature error or the update starts and freezes 98% thru writing the radio. If I try to write anything in flashboot, it will accept the files, but again all the writes fail.

I have a goldcard in the phone as well, using the file I created a few months ago to root the phone. Perhaps I need to redo the goldcard and try that route. Also, while RUU and flashboot both see the phone, ADB never seems to.

ADB won't see the phone unless you can boot the phone normally or boot into recovery.

Try flashing Amon-Ra recovery for Hero, the one for Magic won't work once the RUU flashed the SPL to 1.76.0010

gbd

Upvote 0
Could you try renaming the recovery image to be "recovery.img" (no quotes)?

I've been looking at the fastboot source, if the guys at xda aren't able to come up with anything it may be possible to remove the signature validation code, then recompile fastboot and try with that. But again this would be last resort...

I hope it works out, I'd cry all day if I my Magic died :(
Mark

Upvote 0

I've been looking at the fastboot source, if the guys at xda aren't able to come up with anything it may be possible to remove the signature validation code, then recompile fastboot and try with that. But again this would be last resort...

Mark

Or maybe renaming the recovery update.zip and booting into fastboot with a goldcard installed. That may work too.

gbd

Upvote 0

Mark

Still fails on the signature. And yeah, I'm not too impressed with myself that my Magic is out of commission!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
If you were rooted then you'd be best to update via recovery with one of the roms from xda. You'll want to do the whole radio, spl, recovery first (the newest radio seems to work fine). If you can't update the boot setup then you do indeed have a problem... Can you get to fastboot mode? The RUU should run from there but I'd try doing it the same way you update to CM first.

Upvote 0
When I turn on the phone, all I can get is the RUU screen... I can't boot into recovery or anything like that. However, fastboot DOES recognize the phone but anything I try to write to it fails. When I run an RUU package of any sort, they all fail while writing the radio (right at the very end too... so frustrating!)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones