• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Biggest, Baddest, Car Charger?

NuSkoolTone

Nov 8, 2011
Hey everyone, trying to decide on what to use for a car charger for my Rezound.

I've read conflicting information regarding how the car chargers work. Some do a "Trickle charge" which basically just keeps whatever your phone is currently at from going any lower, and some that work like an AC charger giving a full rapid charge to the phone.

Bottom Line: When in the car I'd like to run all the goodies: GPS, Internet Radio, Full Push Data to the phone etc, and have the charger not only keep up but manage to charge the phone so it's more than when I started the trip!

This is of course assuming it's not being held back by a GPS dock or whatever.

I see there are dedicated chargers, and chargers that have USB ports where you just plug the USB cable into it to the phone. Is one any better than the other? I'm assuming the latter would be more convenient/versatile.

I'm also making the assumption the higher amperage the better. As long as heat isn't an issue, then the phone will only take the Amperage it's capable of drawing. Is there a voltage spec that must be adhered to? Or can it handle 12V? If it's USB, will that already be taken care of voltage wise?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to buy this once and know what's possible and reasonable to expect how close I can get to those goals.

Thanks!

Most phones will detect that they can use "AC" charging at the instant when they are put to the charger.
They'll detect this when the charger's connector has an indication.
And most phone manufacturers do code the microUSB connector of their wall chargers and car chargers with that indication.
A standard method is to bridges pin 2 & 3 with a resistor less than 200 Ohm.
As I know, HTC does it simply with jumping these pins.

But most manufacturer of generic chargers don't code their charger's microUSB connector in this way because they want to by compatible with all kind of USB devices.

So it might be sure to purchase a HTC car charger :D

Harry

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones