1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Bike Doctor - Showing you how to fix your bike

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by andreaskam, Oct 5, 2010.

1. andreaskam

andreaskam Lurker
    None

Aug 11, 2010
    Today we launched a new app for the Android called Bike Doctor that talks you through step-by-step 24 common bike repairs.

The four main benefits of the app are:
    * Save money - Even completing a simple repair such as fixing a puncture means a cyclist can save

Advertisement

2. jae_63

jae_63 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2010
    This looks very cool and useful, but 5.5MB is too big for my phone. Is bike doctor froyo-friendly, i.e. would it mostly reside on my SD card if I upgrade my phone to android 2.2?

3. andreaskam

andreaskam Lurker
    None

Aug 11, 2010
    I know it's a shame the app comes in at so big. I don't know how were going to tackle that as we're very keen to add more repairs!
    Let me check with the chap who I worked with to create the app about "froyo-friendliness!".

Andreas

4. andreaskam

andreaskam Lurker
    None

Aug 11, 2010
    The footprint of the app is 2.83 meg. Copying to SD is not supported because the app also runs on devices 1.6+ that don't have that feature. If this becomes an issue then we can create a custom froyo version of the app that can reside on the SD card.

5. jae_63

None

Mar 16, 2010
    Thanks for the quick response. That's still a pretty big footprint. Speaking only for myself, I wouldn't be prepared to sacrifice so much memory for an application that I would really like to have on my phone but would only use once per month. So for this prospective customer the froyo version would be essential (but I haven't upgraded my device yet). The same argument applies in my opinion to other large, useful but seldom-used apps such as cookbooks.

6. jae_63

None

Mar 16, 2010
    It turns out that when you tell Froyo to move Bike Doctor 1 0.2 to the SD card, its phone memory footprint drops to 100k, which is excellent.

Nice app! I look forward to using it next weekend to repair my son's bike.

7. Sam Voss

Sam Voss Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 25, 2010
    Programmer, in school
    Wisconsin
    Great Idea! and I've just got an idea for fixing the size of your application, why not draw the video's off of a website or like youtube? and include your links etc to them?