1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

bionic camera is making me mad. What is a good camera app??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hurricane630, Oct 16, 2011.

1. hurricane630

hurricane630 Well-Known Member

Ok, so after being screwed out of a picture with a Miami hurricanes football player yesterday after the UNC game, I want a camera app. I had a friend take a pic of me and a player, and he thought it took but cause of the delay it didn't, so he moved it and it only got our feet...so can someone please direct me to a good camera app? preferably free

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. thatguy188

thatguy188 Android Enthusiast

I can't tell about free but I use Vignette which I think is like $2. 99 but well worth it.

3. DanDroide

DanDroide Android Enthusiast

Thatguy is right...just buy that camera app.

Oh, and Go U...Go Canes!

4. hurricane630

alright I probably will, I'm annoyed with this damn camera, $300 dollars, and there is a flaw like this? WOW!

And its great to find Canes fans haha!!
    It was a fun time at the game! I was pissed though, I would have had a picture with sean spence :(

5. Reverence

Reverence Android Enthusiast

Yeah, the camera and application are extremely frustrating. It takes forever to take a picture, the picture it shows on the screen doesn't look anything like what was taken, and the blurriness is outrageous. Tried taking a group picture outside last night and the phone took forever to take it and it came out washed out and completely blurry. Had to end up taking out my girlfriend's iPhone 4 and taking the picture with that and watched in shame as it came our perfectly :mad:

Highly disappointing.

6. hurricane630

Can I take videos with vignette? and can I use the front camera?

7. DanDroide

Yes you can...I haven't messed with videos much (yet) though.

Also, from what I've read, the Bionic is due an OTA (over the air) update in November. Many experts here have said other late Motorola Droid models had camera problems and their updates corrected it.

Btw, I live in Fort Lauderdale.

8. hurricane630

oh, alright. Then I'll probably wait until after the update then, I like the camera overall. Just not the lag. I didn't think that the november update would fix the camera, but since it may then I'll wait

9. DanDroide

Maybe/maybe not correct the cam in that update.

Since you're waiting ...you can drag the stock camera box around to focus on whatever you want. Tap it and wait for the box to turn green...than snap it.

10. Tangolima600

Tangolima600 Newbie

+1 on Vignette, you can set the shutter button to the volume key and the focus is fast and reliable. Loving the camera on this phone!

11. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

Honestly ....As a long time Android user, I gotta say that this camera suxx! And this Vignette app is garbage also, I have the paid version, and I still get those crazy lines in a great deal of photos!

I'm onto the Prime as soon as it drops! Samsungs optics and focus time blows this phone away. Dont get me wrong, the Bionic is capable of taking very clear and sharp pictures, however the Auto focus is just plain terrible. And with no update is sight, and not even a single word out of moto on how badly it needs a fix, leads me to believe that this phone has basically been forgotten about now that the Razr/Spyder is on the horizon.

12. moondrius

moondrius Android Enthusiast

This pretty much sums it up. I just bought Vignette and its pretty terrible as well.

13. sean76

sean76 Android Expert

Yea im at my rope...between the Camera and the Black screen of death, i'm pretty much done! Those 2 things ruined In what my opinion would have been a great device!

14. bryan.allen

bryan.allen Member

The actual camera quality isn't even good when it does take.

15. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert

On one of the builds of the theory ROM, the dev replaced the camera app with the atrix camera and it actually improved the auto focus issue. So theres hope for the bionic when the update hits in november.

And I think vignette is a great app. It helps alot with the usability of the camera.

16. mfree

mfree Newbie

I'm using the app "Camera Zoom FX" for my Bionic and I've had nothing but good results with it. I tried using the stock camera app, but it consistently took blurry (out of focus) pictures, even when the square was green. Even though it's $5.00, it's definitely worth it. When you get it, make sure you change the focus to auto focus. It's default focus setting is on fixed, which takes blurry pictures. With it's focus set to auto focus, the majority of my pictures are very clear. There are a few pictures that are not perfectly clear, but they were still acceptable; it's that way with cell phone cameras.

It still takes a second or two for the camera to focus before the picture gets taken, but the results are overall good. So far, I'm happy with the $5 investment I made with Camera Zoom FX.

17. manderle

manderle Well-Known Member

I found Camera Advance to be very responsive and takes excellent pics. It even took care of the over blueing of the stock taken pics. There is a free version called Camera Advance Lite that will let you go up to 3 mp otherwise it's $3.99.

18. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

i think a lot of the problem here is Moto's Camera Tech in general. Their light sensor sux and the mechanical shutter and shutter speed suck. This isn't just with the bionic. This has been a Moto camera issue on the DX and DX2 as well.

Mine takes great pics about 65% of the time.

A lot of times i'll take a pic and i have to immediately retake the pic because the first one is garbage. I don't blame Apple for poking fun at the Bionic's camera flaws because its true.

19. LrdAnkh

LrdAnkh Well-Known Member

I beg to differ I had the X2 and had no issues, and the issues we are all having with the Bionic is software related, you want proof, download any of the other Camera apps out there and use these, the light sensor works fine with them, and the speed of the shutter is a lot faster as well, I have tried a few of them first hand.

20. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

ok. but i still politely disagree with you. As will others. Glad yours is working though.

21. thatguy188

thatguy188 Android Enthusiast

I think those "crazy lines" your talking about is actually a phone design flaw instead of anything to do with the camera. I've had those too sometimes while taking pictures outside and came to the conclusion it's because the chrome trim around the camera is actually beveled outwards. If sun (or light) hits it a certain way it will reflect. Kind of like if you look at lights through your car windows at night.

I have no complaints at all with Vignette. I've got my camera set to 5MP and High Quality. Pics are beautiful.

22. dguy

dguy Android Expert

Camera Zoom FX is the best camera app I know of. It takes extremely nice photos and has a huge array of options to mess with. It supports both front and back cameras and even lets you set things like hitting the volume up button to take a picture(a good enough reason to buy the app by itself). It does not take video however, you'll still be using the stock video recording app.

23. amageus

amageus Android Enthusiast

I believe the [R3]Blurr3d rom uses the Atrix Camera and the [D3]Blurr3d rom uses the Droid 1 Camera. At least that's what it looks like to me o_O. I've used both roms and am using the [D3]Blurr3d version and the response time isn't as slow as the stock camera app. The camera isn't that bad but the software is what causes everyone's frustration.

24. bxtzd3

bxtzd3 Well-Known Member

nikon d3000, works great on my pics. :> i have a lag also and some bad pics but its still a phone.

25. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday

Just letting you guys know that the updated Vignette now works in portrait mode. It will NOT turn out all wonky after taking a pic in portrait mode.

Motorola Droid Bionic Forum

The Motorola Droid Bionic release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4430 processor, and 1735mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews