1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Bionic is shutting down periodically

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wichita6, Sep 14, 2011.

1. wichita6

wichita6 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 11, 2010
    USA
    Everything was fine until today. I noticed I hadn't received a call I was expecting so I tried to open the phone but it had shut down(I guess) tried to turn it on but all I could see was a battery showing 75%. I removed the battery and it rebooted and all was good for an hour and it shut down again. I removed the battery, again, and it restarted so I will see how long it lasts....I will be returning it if it happens again!
    Any suggestions on whether to try another Bionic or ?suggestion? :(

Advertisement

2. sx4dude2013

sx4dude2013 Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    Student
    Georgia
    do you have any sketchy apps?
    I have had one random reboot.
    It is a little computer so it is expected. I dont mind a reboot every once and awhile....

3. wichita6

None

Dec 11, 2010
    USA
    I don't mind a reboot but the it took me 20 minutes to get the phone back on. The only way was to plug in the charger(had to get home first) and then it powered to the big battery showing 75% then it restarted.

I do like the phone but I have only had it for a week and don't want to get stranded with a buggy phone since I can change it within 14 days.

4. erthchyld

erthchyld Lurker
    None

Nov 6, 2011
    Health Care
    Northern California
    I bought my Droid Bionic a few days ago. Ever since it has been randomly shutting down and rebooting or just shutting down altogether. I had the pattern lock turned on. With my original Droid I had issues with the lock freezing the phone and had to turn it off. Once again I think the pattern lock caused this issue. Since I switched it to the pin numbers it has not done it!

5. wichita6

None

Dec 11, 2010
    USA
    I have un-installed all apps that I loaded...Handsent and ESP File Explorer. Everything is back to stock but still got a freeze when trying to start a text message. pulled the battery and restarted. Only time will tell.

6. bulla16

bulla16 Member
    None

Feb 17, 2010
    Male
    Automotive research
    Nashvegas, TN
    Do you happen to have an extended battery and cover? I've had the same issue, and have narrowed it down to the extended battery being the problem. It never does it with the standard battery, but with the extended one in, it will often shut down when set down or bumped in the holster. If I take off the back cover, I can get it to restart by gently pressing on different parts of the extended battery cells, particularly in the middle.

7. erthchyld

erthchyld Lurker
    None

Nov 6, 2011
    Health Care
    Northern California
    The random reboot has returned so has the black screen of death(with blinking green light). I do NOT have an extended battery or back cover.I have uninstalled everything and am back to stock with NO lock. These issues persist. I think I am going to take it back to the store for an exchange. Grrrr!

8. wichita6

None

Dec 11, 2010
    USA
    Yes, I have the extended battery with cover. I am also using a TPU rubber case and this phone gets very hot. I'm wondering if this will lead to the phone dying like a few others are reporting. I really want to throw it against the wall but Verizon wouldn't give me a "Refurb with a 60 day warranty" and that would just kill me!

I am thinking about just buying a Nexus and being done with this junk. I'll keep it as a memento and show my grandchildren when they ask "Who or what was Motorola"?

9. teslas

teslas Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2010
    Do a complete system restore to factory and give everything a second go.