1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Bionic laptop dock?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Member113588, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Member113588

Member113588 Guest
    None
    I ordered my Bionic last night. CANT FREAKING WAIT! And I just went to the VZW store today. (Long story why I couldn't just buy the phone there.) And I was looking at the laptop dock, and it looks pretty sweet. However I was thinking about just selling my laptop since all I use it for these days is web browsing anyway. Anybody here already have the dock or have messed with it more than I have to know if its pretty fast or if its not worth it?

Also I cant find the laptop dock online ANYWHERE. Any idea why? I was hoping to find it on ebay or something for a bit cheaper.

Advertisement

2. dragma

dragma Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    Male
    Dish Network, Ops Analyst
    Denver, CO
    It will prob be a matter of time, but since it is fairly new it is not surprising it is not on E-Bay

3. EAHinsch

EAHinsch Newbie
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    I purchased it and returned it. It had phenomenal build quality, but $300 for just a browser is a bit much. Very little room for customization right now. Maybe if it mirrored the phone in landscape or if you could add Widgets, but I purchased a net book and tether now. Additionally, the HD dock accomplishes the same interface to an external monitor at a third of the cost.

4. Tosa90

Tosa90 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    Machinist
    Milwaukee,WI
    It does mirror the phone display onto the screen. You can then manually change the orientation of the display and even make it full screen.

I have the $30 webtop adapter app and that's how it works.

5. Member113588

Member113588 Guest
    None
    Does the HD dock use HDMI? Does it come with an adapter to DVI or anything? Also how would you hook up a keyboard?

6. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    It has three USB ports. You can attache a keyboard and mouse with USB cables.

It has no provision for attaching to a real PC.

... Thom

7. Tosa90

Tosa90 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    Machinist
    Milwaukee,WI
    HD Dock uses Micro HDMI.

You can buy and HDMI to DVI adapter.

Use this Cable to connect to the dock:
    6inch 34AWG High Speed w/ Ethernet Micro-HDMI Male (Type D) to HDMI Female (Type A) Adapter Cable - Black - Monoprice.com

Use this adapter plugged into that cable:
    HDMI Male to DVI-D Single Link Female Adapter - Monoprice.com

Then use your own DVI cable or if you need one get one from here:
    Video Cables - DVI - Monoprice.com

As for a keyboard and mouse, you can use a Bluetooth or USB keyboard, and a Bluetooth or USB mouse. The dock has 3 standard sized USB ports.

8. Member113588

Member113588 Guest
    None
    Thanks guys! I will probably go with the HD Dock to see how it works. But I think once the price comes down a bit on the laptop dock I might wanna go out and get that as well.

As for the thing not being around anywhere... I realize its new and all so I understand that it's not on ebay but shouldn't it be on Motorola's site? Or was it manufactured by someone else?

9. Member113588

Member113588 Guest
    None
    Ok so I just looked at Motorola's site again today and they do have the Lapdock on there now. You just can't order it from them yet.

10. YodaDroid

YodaDroid Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    People are aware that the lapdock price is an issue. The parts are generally good quality - is driving up price.

11. Hola91

Hola91 Member
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Hamilton, NJ
    I have the lapdock and it is awesome. The browser is fast in wifi and 4G. Not too bad in 3G. I definitely think the $300 was worth. Everyone may not agree but I am glad I got it. Without the docks the Bionic is just another Android phone. With the docks the phone is truly a Bionic. If you can spare the $300 get the lapdock.

Member113588 likes this.