1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Bionic Media Area - Bugs and a Pain

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Alethal, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Alethal

Alethal Lurker
    None

Sep 14, 2011
    Tech.
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    So it looks like the media area is a seperate partition 8gigs of the 16gig phone memory.

Can move programs to it, however some programs error out due to not enough space (Pulse, Voice Recorder, Trillian) And there is 7gigs free on that partition - wierd bug??

2ndly - programs moved to it disappear, the icon stays on the home screen but they app drops off the tray and if you tap the icon it says its not installed on phone - reboots dont fix, have to go to market and redown load - has happened with the paypal app 5 times in 24 hours, and a couple others.

So whats the point? 8 gigs you can use for apps that you dont mind reinstalling over and over again??

hoping this are documented bugs that will be fixed soon, otherwise a huge nusiance and waste of space cause now I'm affraid to move anything there as it just vanishes.

Any suggestions to fix this for me would be great...

Advertisement

2. sockstobed

sockstobed Lurker
    None

Apr 16, 2011
    IT GEEK
    Metro Detroit
    Yeah mine did that too with only selected apps that I moved the Media area.... Huge pain in the ass.... Now I know I am not the only one....

3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    Current methods for moving apps to SD probably use a programmatically enforced path, like /SDCard - on our phones, our external SDCard is actually /SDCard-ext. So, it's not a matter of Apps2SD working (necesarily) as it is a problem with the application itself not supporting the new path of /SDCard-ext.

I'd put in a report to the developer about the new file structure and how the app needs to be able to be moved to the new /SDCard-ext path as well. That will come over time, as there was a slow but steady uptake among developers to initially include Apps2SD when the specifications were written originally.

After all, I'm betting that we really don't want to be storing apps in the media section, right?

4. HotDawg

HotDawg Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 24, 2009
    data analyst
    @johnlgalt - I might be missing something, but I tried App2sd and all it did was direct me to Manage Applications so I could "move to media area" - I can do that on my own (!), and uninstalled. So the path issue seems to be in the stock software (if it's an issue - it's certainly an issue I can't put apps on my ext SD :( )

I am hopeful they will change this in an update, but not to confident.

I was one of those people who kept getting a low memory message on my OG Droid, so I was really looking forward to 32GB of space for apps. (okay, maybe that's a slight overstatement - you get my drift)

Still, I already have enough apps on this phone that would have given my OGD a stroke.

5. johnlgalt

None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    3rd Rock
    lmfao - 'sif - take me on:

(and this includes only 3 games, the Stock Let's golf 2, Spades Free and WordzUp!):

Apps1.jpg

Apps2.jpg

Apps3.jpg

OK, so it may not be a lot - but I had to reset the phone on Sunday....

And I'm on an App buying spree, too, bought and / or paid for the donation for 4 apps last night alone....

I'm going to install AppBrain back on here b/c it gives cool stats on how much you've spent on apps and such, too....

6. HotDawg

HotDawg Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 24, 2009
    data analyst
    GRRR I can't screenshot, dammit! :rolleyes:

I do have maybe 10 games now, but I mostly use my phone for productivity stuff.

7. yzingerr

yzingerr Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 28, 2009
    SF Bay
    I agree, it seems the media area is useless.. I have had to redownload almost all of my apps

8. johnlgalt

None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    3rd Rock
    If you have the Android SDK, connect your phone, then go to {path to}\Android\android-sdk\tools and run ddms.bat

Once you get a screen that shows your device running, CTRL + S will launch the screen capture utility. By default it saves the files as a .PNG, so you'll need to edit the file to convert it to .JPG to post here, or you can upload it to a service and then post the link here.

9. riothamus

riothamus Lurker
    None

Nov 6, 2011
    I'm having similar issues.

After moving any application to the "media area," the phone thinks it's not installed. When clicking "move to phone" it says there is not enough space.

Seems to be a stock problem. Thanks, motorola.