• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I'm getting the bionic for a few reasons.

1. My mom's droid 3 was stolen. She needs a new phone. I'm giving her my X and upgrading to the bionic tomorrow.
2. The Nexus/Droid Prime could come out in october, november, or never! I'm sick of waiting. Upgrade time!

Bionic = 1.0 GHz Dual Core, Droid Prime - rumored 1.5 GHz Dual Core
Bionic = qHD, Droid Prime = HD or even WVGA! Who knows.

Might as well get the bionic. I'll then use a different family member's upgrade in the near future if I am dying for the Prime / the next "big thing"

Upvote 0
I'm getting the bionic for a few reasons.

1. My mom's droid 3 was stolen. She needs a new phone. I'm giving her my X and upgrading to the bionic tomorrow.
2. The Nexus/Droid Prime could come out in october, november, or never! I'm sick of waiting. Upgrade time!

Bionic = 1.0 GHz Dual Core, Droid Prime - rumored 1.5 GHz Dual Core
Bionic = qHD, Droid Prime = HD or even WVGA! Who knows.

Might as well get the bionic. I'll then use a different family member's upgrade in the near future if I am dying for the Prime / the next "big thing"

I'm always dying for the next "big thing," but so is my wallet...

Upvote 0
I heard Nexus Prime isnt coming to Verizon.

that leaves Droid Prime... but i know nothing of its specs or release date. So Bionic.
If it is THAT(which i doubt) much better, then w/e i will just get that when it comes out.

I thought the Droid Prime & Nexus Prime was essentially the same phone. How can they both be the first phone to sport ICS if they aren't the same phone?

Do what I'm gonna do: Buy the Droid Bionic @ Costco, and exchange it for the Droid Prime if it releases within 90 days. I will be paying probably a $100 premium, but I think $100 is worth the "if Droid Prime releases" insurance. Not to mention, you get $160 in free accessories.

Upvote 0
There's a lot of us here with dying OG Droids. I think that's why we're all on the Bionic bandwagon. Simply can't wait for the next best thing. We need THE best thing.

+1

My OG Droid which I got on day one is dying a slow painful death. The screen has been cracked since May and I'm done waiting. If I've learned nothing from the Bionic waiting game these past few months and multiple rumored release dates it's that you must go with what you have now or be willing to wait for months for that new phone to drop. Verizon has repeatedly shown it's not into nailing down hard release dates for it's customers, hell, look at the VZW site, it drops tomorrow and it still doesn't have the date, ridiculous.

I did the waiting, I'm done now. If others are going to wait on the Prime, I now pass you the torch and wish you well on your journey.

Upvote 0
I thought the Droid Prime & Nexus Prime was essentially the same phone. How can they both be the first phone to sport ICS if they aren't the same phone?

Do what I'm gonna do: Buy the Droid Bionic @ Costco, and exchange it for the Droid Prime if it releases within 90 days. I will be paying probably a $100 premium, but I think $100 is worth the "if Droid Prime releases" insurance. Not to mention, you get $160 in free accessories.

They are the same thing. Nexus Prime coming to Verizon is just speculation.

Name has been confirmed : Nexus Prime..

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/09/07/nexus-prime-name-confirmed-through-samsung-site/

Reactions: YankeeDudeL
Upvote 0
They are the same thing. Nexus Prime coming to Verizon is just speculation.

Speculation about the name maybe...

VZ turned down the Galaxy SII, which internationally is a best seller, which will probably hit right around the same time as the iPhone 5. Agree?

If you agree, do you really think VZ would stand idle on the Bionic only, and let the rest of the fall go before the holidays w/o releasing a iPhone killer, or at least something to REALLY compete against it? I highly doubt they would. And I'm sure the stock holders wouldn't be pleased w/ that decision either.

The Bionic will be a great phone, no doubt, but calling the Prime speculation is crazy talk. There are enough facts about phones passing wifi/bluetooth that make the 'speculation' more believable. It's coming, and I'd be willing to bet it'll drop before Black Friday... its just a matter of when IMHO.

Reactions: Sandroidfan
Upvote 0
Speculation about the name maybe...

VZ turned down the Galaxy SII, which internationally is a best seller, which will probably hit right around the same time as the iPhone 5. Agree?

If you agree, do you really think VZ would stand idle on the Bionic only, and let the rest of the fall go before the holidays w/o releasing a iPhone killer, or at least something to REALLY compete against it? I highly doubt they would. And I'm sure the stock holders wouldn't be pleased w/ that decision either.

The Bionic will be a great phone, no doubt, but calling the Prime speculation is crazy talk. There are enough facts about phones passing wifi/bluetooth that make the 'speculation' more believable. It's coming, and I'd be willing to bet it'll drop before Black Friday... its just a matter of when IMHO.

Think about it why would Verizon want competition for the iPhone 5 when it will be on Verizon. They already proved that they would push that phone ahead of any other phone with the iPhone 4. It doesn't mean that they will not get anything down the line. But as of right now it is all Speculation that the Prime is coming to Verizon until something concrete comes along.

Upvote 0
Think about it why would Verizon want competition for the iPhone 5 when it will be on Verizon. They already proved that they would push that phone ahead of any other phone with the iPhone 4. It doesn't meant that they will not get anything down the line. But as of right now it is all Speculation that the Prime is coming to Verizon until something concrete comes along.

Why WOULDNT they want competition? The iPhone 5 will be on VZ, AT&T and now Sprint... which means iPhone customers now have more options. That means less customers for VZ/iPhones.... so thats why I would think they would want the competition. They want to attract iOS users AND Droid (anything but iOS) users.

There are clearly new phones that are passing wifi/bluetooth left right now. I highly, highly doubt, those phones will be less 'powerful' than the Bionic. It's not long after they pass those tests that they hit the market, which is why I'm thinking Black Friday at the latest.

Just my opinion though.. it'll be interesting to see how it pans out & what comes out.

Upvote 0
Why WOULDNT they want competition? The iPhone 5 will be on VZ, AT&T and now Sprint... which means iPhone customers now have more options. That means less customers for VZ/iPhones.... so thats why I would think they would want the competition. They want to attract iOS users AND Droid (anything but iOS) users.

There are clearly new phones that are passing wifi/bluetooth left right now. I highly, highly doubt, those phones will be less 'powerful' than the Bionic. It's not long after they pass those tests that they hit the market, which is why I'm thinking Black Friday at the latest.

Just my opinion though.. it'll be interesting to see how it pans out & what comes out.

I would agree but we do not know the deal Verizon has with Apple. You can not truly say it will be a iPhone killer with no specs.. It is all speculation. You can hope and dream that it will come out in October but I doubt it. The earliest I would say the prime will be out is around Thanksgiving the latest after CES 2012. I am sticking with the Bionic.

Upvote 0
I would agree but we do not know the deal Verizon has with Apple. You can not truly say it will be a iPhone killer with no specs.. It is all speculation. You can hope and dream that it will come out in October but I doubt it. The earliest I would say the prime will be out is around Thanksgiving the latest after CES 2012. I am sticking with the Bionic.

I can't say for sure, but I do dream that it is :D... this coming from an iPhone user for the last 3+ years too.

I cant blame anyone buying the Bionic. The phone is going to flat out kick ass, and be lightning fast. I was in the same boat until about 2-3 weeks ago. Now I'm waiting until Black Friday at the latest to jump ship off of AT&T and go to VZ. My contract w/ AT&T just ended on Monday, so I figure I'll keep it a few more weeks. If Prime is out, I'll be a proud Prime owner. If not, and no release date in site, I'll be a proud Bionic owner.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones