• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bionic Rooted... now what?

I downloaded multiple file explorers which stated they had 'root explorer' capabilities.

However, they seem to not be able to rename a file...

Am I doing something wrong?

Most file explorers can view the root directories as read only, whereas some can mount them as read/write. I know root explorer, that p8ntballah21 mentioned, can do this, but it's also a paid app. I'm not sure if there are free apps that can do it.

Upvote 0
ES File Explorer (free app) can do this:

menu -> Settings -> Root Settings (scroll to bottom of the page) -> Root Explorer (checkbox) and Mount File system [mount /, /system as writable] (checkbox).

Works great...not sure that I'd use it on the Bionic to rename or delete a system app, though since there's no .SBF file or custom recovery (i.e., ability to do a Nandroid backup or restore).

Cautionary tale: http://androidforums.com/bionic-all-things-root/411710-am-i-screwed-until-sbf-available.html

Reactions: Xyro
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones