1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Bionic Supports Divx/Xvid

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by milrtime83, Sep 14, 2011.

1. milrtime83

milrtime83 Android Enthusiast

I didn't see this mentioned on any spec sheets for the Bionic but it seems to have hardware decoding for divx/xvid videos.

I was reading this comparison between the Tegra 2 and TI OMAP chips. This statement specifically got me to try it:
    I've only tried one video but it works just fine with the standard video player.

johnlgalt likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. contagous

contagous Android Expert

This would be cool, i'll have to test some videos :")

3. BenDroid

BenDroid Well-Known Member

Has anyone had the chance to test this yet?

4. nfeld9807

nfeld9807 Lurker

I just tried this out with mine.. I loaded an .avi onto the sd card and tried playing it through the gallery app which gave me a choice between Video Player (Stock App) and MXplayer (what I use to play divx) and the video player simply wouldnt play it at all... So I guess if it has the ability to decode, it must be disabled for licensing purposes..

5. DanDroide

DanDroide Android Enthusiast

Maybe try it with the app "Act 1 Video Player".

6. contagous

contagous Android Expert

I tried playing couple of my divx/avi downloads and they played in the stock player just fine :)

I used the file manager to get to the file and it opened in the stock video app just fine, i have no other players installed either :)

7. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Do remember that .avi is a container, like .mkv - .avi does not necessarily mean it is a DivX encoded video....

jroc likes this.
  8. contagous

contagous Android Expert

You make a good point there, one of the files i tested was The Holding (2011) DVDSCR XViD - NoGrp and it seemed to play fine, but i guess whoever encoded could of just lied in the title.

but i'm happy with that to be honest, as they never worked on my incredible without apps.

9. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

I made the post for everyone not just you - it could be that the person who tried the one .avi file that would not work in the stock player was trying a file that was not DivX / XviD, and hence the failure.

Motorola Droid Bionic Forum

The Motorola Droid Bionic release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4430 processor, and 1735mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews