• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bionic via USB to PC crashes PC, Win 7

chezoik

Lurker
Sep 29, 2011
Hi, New here...
mostly loving my Bionic, but I cannot successfully connect it via USB (using the Bionic USB cable) to my PC (Win 7 desktop): I see the file manager with Bionic folders but if i click on a folder PC crashes, blue screen ("Windows has detected and error and will close... blah blah"), it then restarts. I have managed to see the Bionic file manager screen but if i click on a folder then the crash. I HAVE successfully connected Bionic via USB to another desktop (running Win XP) and to a laptop (Win XP), so it does work on the Bionic side. Just something about my main PC settings/etc. that is not allowing this. Any ideas? I think I successfully downloaded the newer version of the USB driver 5.2.0 or something like that...
Any ideas?
Thanks
Chezoik

Did you have the Motorola drivers previously installed? Did you uninstall them before installing the newer drivers? Did you install the correct version 32bit v. 64bit? Since you were able to mount under XP your microsd card is probably ok, but I would remove it from your Bionic and use a card reader to copy everything off onto your pc, format the card, and copy everything back.

Upvote 0
I see the file manager with Bionic folders but if i click on a folder PC crashes, blue screen ("Windows has detected and error and will close... blah blah")

You may be looking in the wrong place ...

Do you have ALL Windows 7 mantenance updates applied?
Do you have a good virus protection program installed, the definitions up to date, and protection enabled? (I use Nortons Internet Security.)
Have you done a complete virus scan on your machine?

... Thom

Upvote 0
Thanks to all...
I realize it's got something to do with my PC, but since it happens only with y Bionic, there seems a relation (I use USB ports often, for other phones, Garmin Navi, Cameras, etc.). Computer is 2 yrs old, all Win 7 updates current, decent (AVG) virus/malware protection and scans daily, and I thought I had installed the latest (5.2.0) Motorola Driver;

But I re-installed that driver and got the danged thing to work. Then next time I tried, computer crashed again. And then I got through ok; it's a bit erratic but working kinda. I do always get the attempt by the Bionic to download and install the MotoHelper and Old driver (5.1.0). And the Motorola Media link always comes on, whcih I don't really want (Guess I can uninstall it from PC); i'd rather just have access to the two micro cards in the phone for file transfer.

Now I have a new problem, someone seems to be hijacking my Bionic browsers, redirecting certain web links to a local 'social.com' site. But that's fodder for another thread.

Thanks to all who replied.
chezoik

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones