1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Bionic Yellowish tint in display

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by floridaman, Oct 1, 2011.

1. floridaman

floridaman Newbie
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    I am on my third Bionic. I finally have a phone that for the most part works correctly. One issue I have which hasn't been mentioned in this forum is the display has a yellowish tint to it. It is more noticeable in a white background. All three of the phones exhibited this same issue. I actually compared my screens against the Bionic display models at VZW and you could clearly see the difference. The display models don't have this problem. Even the store reps were baffled by this. I read in another forum that the display models in the VZW stores are running a newer version of software on the device. I never actually compared the software versions to confirm this. Has anyone else noticed this issue? I hope that the update in early November will address this although I don't see this issue mentioned on the update list. Quite honestly this is borderlline false advertising by VZW. For the most part nobody would even know this problem existed unless they compared there phone and the display model side by side. This could be a real problem for VZW/Motorola unless they fix the problem.

Advertisement

2. dave1812

dave1812 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    ret
    San Jose, CA
    is it yellowish even when the brightness is turned way up?

3. New Rising

New Rising Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 7, 2011

I'm on my third Bionic as well, the second one i got had the yellowish tint, and it was really bugging me. I took it to a vzw store and compared the screens to other Bionics and the difference was definitely noticeable, especially on the google home page. I was still with in my two weeks at best buy so i went and exchanged it and the third one i got was definitely better, without the yellowish tint. However, the capacitive buttons have a yellowish tint to them now :mad:. I wish I kept my first one which i exchanged because i lost all 4g connectivity and i asked the vzw reps if there was any outages and they said no so i exchanged it. Then I come on here and see how there was 4g outages, I wish i had my first one, it was nearly perfect :(.

4. dave1812

None

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    ret
    San Jose, CA
    I've seen many (and my wife and I own FOUR) touches. Every single one that I have seen has a different color temperature. that's just the way it is with those little screens.

5. floridaman

floridaman Newbie
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    Yes it has the yellow tint with the brightness on high

6. LrdAnkh

LrdAnkh Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 10, 2011
    Dierector of Sys. & Operations (IT)
    West Orange, NJ
    Unfortunately the grass is not always greener on the other side, that's why i resist the temptation of exchanging a phone for a minor flaw, the next one could be worse.

7. dave1812

None

Oct 29, 2009
    Male
    ret
    San Jose, CA

exactly. imagine going from a slight tint issue to dead or stuck pixels. that would suck a lot worse, personally.

8. floridaman

floridaman Newbie
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    I would have to disagree with your statement. I have compared my Bionics against two different Bionic display models in VZW. Both displays in VZW had no yellow tint at all. I should have checked the software versions, the display models must have a different version.

9. New Rising

None

Jul 7, 2011

I wish i still had my first one, but at least my third one is better than the second one. Minus the somewhat yellowish capacitive buttons which bug me a little. Although, my first one did have a lot of random reboots and would lose 3g/4g connection until i rebooted.

10. floridaman

floridaman Newbie
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    Can you check your software version. It is located under settings/about phone/system version. My version number is 5.5.886

Thanks

shaggylouie likes this.
  11. New Rising

None

Jul 7, 2011

I've got the same thing, 5.5.886.xt875, but this is my 3rd bionic. It was on the second one I had with the yellowish tint.

floridaman likes this.
  12. kingnut

kingnut Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 20, 2010
    Bionic display and buttons are alot more yellow than my X (compared side by side). Im not sure why moto used different led's. None the less its no reason to return a phone this awesome.

13. LrdAnkh

LrdAnkh Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 10, 2011
    Dierector of Sys. & Operations (IT)
    West Orange, NJ
    Besides I would wait at least till the first update to see if things are corrected the yellowness could simply be the intensity at which the led is displayed at, after all LEDS can be made to change colors.

14. sean76

sean76 Android Expert
    None

May 5, 2010
    THE BOSS
    NYC
    Test 10 different phones, and you'll mainly get 10 different shades of white! Its just the way it is with these phones. I highly doubt an update will help get rid of any traces of yellow that you see on your screen. If it bothers you that much, try for an exchange. However, like someone noted you may end up with a unit that has more issues. Luck of the draw!

15. shaggylouie

shaggylouie Well-Known Member
    None

May 11, 2010
    Thanks to this post, I became aware of this issue. I finally got my bionic and for the first day, I thought that maybe the screen's whites were yellowish. Paranoid with this issue, I stopped by a verizon store and did some comparisons.

It was definitely yellowish next to all of their display phones. Showed it to the salesman and had it switched out - no problem.

Now it's much better. Thanks for the heads up.