1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General "Bionica" members, thoughts on DX replacement?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Needsdecaf, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Northern VA
    So, trying to get a handle on your thoughts regarding your Bionic. I've read a fair amount of the threads here and gotten a feel for the phone, but of course, it's not the same as having and using one.

My basics - heavy phone user (40-60 calls / day). Heavy email user. ON the road a lot so the phone gets used plenty. My DX typically would run out of battery about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through the day. Display is always the biggest battery hog, even though I keep screen brightness at it's lowest setting. SO battery life is key, but I am not getting an extended battery - the phone needs to be somewhat sleek as it's always in my pocket, car.

I'm debating on whether to get a Bionic or, gasp, the iPhone 5. I had an OG Droid which I rooted, and now the Droid X which is not rooted (because I honestly don't have a lot of time to spend loading every new ROM that comes along). I do appreciate the large screen of the DX since I'm always reading / composing emails, using the map, the browser, etc. I've really enjoyed the android forum, but my DX really has dissolved into a swirling puddle of absolute crap - stock email program stopped retrieving then sending emails. Running Exchange now and that's really slow, takes 20-25 seconds pressing send until the email screen goes away. Phone gets very slow, locks up at times, and other issues (like dialing a number from the recent phone calls list and having it dial a number that's 8 away in the list!). And on.

I remember my OG Droid starting to exhibit similar symptoms before I rooted it (and even some of the ROMS doing the same) and even the same all the way back to my Droid Eris. Is this an issue with the Android platform? Does it slow down over time like a windows computer? That drives me crazy.

I haven't rooted a phone in over a year, but I'm sure it's easier now than ever back when the OG Droid was first rooted) so I'm not opposed to rooting again if it means better performance, as long as I don't lose Microsoft Exchange capabiity.

How is the battery life? I read it's possible to disable 4G to conserve battery. How is the screen? Does it smudge less than the Droid X (also drives me crazy). How is the call quality? I read that the volume of the call is pretty low...is it lower than a DX? That would be a deal breaker. Is the vibration in silent mode any stronger? It was useless in the OG Droid and DX.

I know there will be few iPhone fans here, but looking forward to being talked into (or out of!) a Bionic!

Advertisement

2. twistedlim

twistedlim Android Expert
    None

Jun 9, 2010
    Michigan
    You won't get better battery life than the DX unless you go to an iphone unfortunatly. If battery life is your big concern, keep the DX. If you keep your DX you may want to consider rooting and going back to froyo. I had much better life on froyo than gingerbread with the DX plus the dx extended battery is not even noticable. If you browse the web, download etc the bionic wins hands down.
    -Battery life is oK, not great...somewhere between the Charge (good) and TBolt (bad)
    -Yes you can disable 4g but then that defeats the purpose of the phone
    -No problems with screen quality or volume for me.
    -Smudging? Cant tell you there. Never noticed a problem with the DX but I assume the gorrilla glass is the same.

It does have a slimmer, smaller feel to it compared to the DX if you compare both without any cases or covers.

If voice and battery are your biggest concerns, you may be looking at the iphone although the jury will be out on the 5 until it is release and has some time to be reviewed. I am not an Iphone fan but I realize it does have a solid niche in the market. I just like android, spoiled by the widgets :)

3. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Android Expert
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Northern VA
    SO I rooted the DX today and lo and behold, performance drastically increased, as it had before. However, I now remember why I didn't root this phone in the first place - too many choices! This rom has these themes, these functionalities, these kernels, vs. those roms have others. OK, let's switch ROMS and see if I like this one better, now I have to re-install all my aps from backup, etc. It can get to be a pain in the rear. But the phone sure is flying now...