• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Birthday Reminders for Phone Contacts?

DDustiNN

Android Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2009
When I link my contacts to Facebook, I see there is an option to import their birthdays as well. I think this is a great feature, but I'm not sure how exactly it works... Is there a way to link this to the Calendar widget? I'd like to have reminders set up for all of my contacts' birthdays (but not have to individually set up each one).

Thanks in advance :)

When I link my contacts to Facebook, I see there is an option to import their birthdays as well. I think this is a great feature, but I'm not sure how exactly it works... Is there a way to link this to the Calendar widget? I'd like to have reminders set up for all of my contacts' birthdays (but not have to individually set up each one).

Thanks in advance :)

I dont use facebook, but i added birthdays for my contacts in gmail and they automatically show up on the calendar. You might have to go to the calendar in gmail on the computer and add a birthday calendar. You'll see that option if you poke around on the website.

Upvote 0
I dont use facebook, but i added birthdays for my contacts in gmail and they automatically show up on the calendar. You might have to go to the calendarin gmail on the computer and add a birthday calendar. You'll see that option if you poke around on the website.

Yeah I don't see anything like that anywhere... All of my phone contacts are listed on the Gmail site, but not birthdays. For example, in my phone when I linked my sister to her Facebook profile, it imported her birthday (which is next month). The birthday is saved in the phone, and I can see it when I view the contact, but it does not show up in the calendar. When I go to the Gmail site, the birthday field is blank.

So I would have to go into Gmail and set all of the birthdays to make them show up on the calendar? That makes no sense, and is a huge PITA... There has to be a way to "sync" this, somehow... Otherwise it almost seems pointless to even have that birthday feature when "linking" contacts...

I hope...? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Yeah I don't see anything like that anywhere... All of my phone contacts are listed on the Gmail site, but not birthdays. For example, in my phone when I linked my sister to her Facebook profile, it imported her birthday (which is next month). The birthday is saved in the phone, and I can see it when I view the contact, but it does not show up in the calendar. When I go to the Gmail site, the birthday field is blank.

So I would have to go into Gmail and set all of the birthdays to make them show up on the calendar? That makes no sense, and is a huge PITA... There has to be a way to "sync" this, somehow... Otherwise it almost seems pointless to even have that birthday feature when "linking" contacts...

Like I said, I don't have Facebook so I don't know about syncing with that. There probably is an easier way but someone else will have to jump in with a solution.

Yes, I did manually input all the birthdays into my Gmail contacts. But I either did it gradually over the years, or I really don't care when 90% of people's birthdays are. hehe. Honestly, besides a few close friends and family, does it really matter when someone's birthday is?

I also checked and I did have to click on Calendar from within Gmail.com and that opened up the Calendar page, and you have to click "Add" where it says "Other Calendars". From there, you add a calendar that has your contacts' birthdays.

Upvote 0
When you link to someone's birthday, you will get a notification when the birthday is close (it only goes out about a month or less). I have a lot of my contacts synced w/ Facebook, and I'm currently showing about 14 birthdays coming up in the next few weeks when I go to the Updates and Events tab in the People (contacts) app.

I don't believe it syncs into the Calendar, but my calendar is synced with Outlook, not Google, so that might play into it as well.

Upvote 0

This isnt going to answer your question ... but I have noticed that none of the information brought in from Facebook shows up on the Gmail site. The picture for contacts that I have synced with facebook dont even show up in Gmail.

Upvote 0
Go to Google calendar/Settings/ Calendar Settings/
Choose the tab calendars/ click on other calendars group click on browse interesting calendars
Select the "more" tabs / You see contact's birthdays and events/ Click subscribe

And Voila'! all contacts birthdays will show up in your calendar.
I hope this helps!
I tried a couple of birthday remeinder apps and I dind't like them, this is the best solution, and I agree, it's not easy to find, it's well buried

Upvote 0
There is a shortcut. In your calendar, left side "other claendars" you can click settings and it will take to the page where you'll see browse interesting calendars.
click on browse interesting calendars
Select the "more" tabs / You see contact's birthdays and events/ Click subscribe
Go to Google calendar/Settings/ Calendar Settings/
Choose the tab calendars/ click on other calendars group click on browse interesting calendars

And Voila'! all contacts birthdays will show up in your calendar.
I hope this helps!
I tried a couple of birthday remeinder apps and I dind't like them, this is the best solution, and I agree, it's not easy to find, it's well buried

Upvote 0
There is a shortcut. In your calendar, left side "other claendars" you can click settings and it will take to the page where you'll see browse interesting calendars.
click on browse interesting calendars

this doesn't bring in facebook birthdays. I can the facebook birthdays on my phone but can't set up alerts for the birthdays. And can't see them in google calendar on a computer

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones