• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bit the Bullet and got the HTC Evo V 4G

Not really much you can do without it being rooted and having VM control your phone and tell you "that's the way it should be".
Other than installing apps to your preference. I can't think of anything else except the different browsers, launchers, etc.
The community here for our phone is just plain awesome on these boards. Any questions, just post them and they should be answered in a timely manner.
Enjoy the phone, I'm sure you'll love it!

Upvote 0
I've had mine for 2 months and haven't rooted it (not worth the risk to me) and I'm happy as a clam with the way it is. I upgraded from the OV because the internal storage kept yapping at me that it was too full no matter what I did so I said screw it and got the HTC EVO V. The only problems people have encountered was the radio interference with texting. I never had that problem and there was an update to fix it. I can't think of any other "issues" I or other people have had that are serious.

Upvote 0
Well, I just received my phone on Thuraday. The first thing I did was look for the update and it was ready to download. All is good there. I don't want to root the phone, but I'm looking for any enlightening tidbits of information that a new owner would appreciate knowing about.

Thanks!

I hate the stock keyboard ..... so I use Touchpal. And a better battery is almost a necessity. The Anker 1900mah is good if you do not want to change the size of your phone. But if you don't mind a thicker phone the Laza 3460mah battery is a beast.

And of course i have to say it :D ..... You should really consider rooting. Rooting and s-off make it a much better phone.

Upvote 0
I just received my HTC Evo V 4G on Friday - my first Android phone. I like it so far; I don't think you will regret your purchase, either, suvlady.

I downloaded and installed the software update on Sunday, and now I am just trying to learn about the phone - I have a long way to go!

Unlike you, I have been considering rooting the phone, mostly because some of the programs I want to try out require root. Quick question about rooting - does this allow you to remove some/most of the unnecessary programs that VM puts on the phone, or do you also need to install a custom ROM to get this ability? Also, do you have to additionally carry out the S-off step? I am just learning, but thought that that was a step necessary to fix the radio problem; does it have other advantages as well?

(Not trying to hi-jack your thread, suvlady; hopefully you will find this information useful as well. :) )

Holly

Reactions: LzeroKI
Upvote 0
I hate the stock keyboard ..... so I use Touchpal. And a better battery is almost a necessity. The Anker 1900mah is good if you do not want to change the size of your phone. But if you don't mind a thicker phone the Laza 3460mah battery is a beast.

And of course i have to say it :D ..... You should really consider rooting. Rooting and s-off make it a much better phone.

What is the general consensus on that battery? It's only 10% more capacity on paper. Are the specs conservative?

Reactions: Ted Roo
Upvote 0
What is the general consensus on that battery? It's only 10% more capacity on paper. Are the specs conservative?

There are a good number of days where i work alone and plug in hands free earphones to listen to some tunes. The smaller aftermarket battery is ok for extra stand-by/talk time, yet doest help enought for a day full of music.Even with a 3450mAhr battery I still have to charge my phone nightly after jamming for 8 hrs plus a moderate number of calls and text.

Working as part of a team the ear buds stay in the pocket and the phone lasts me between 36 and 40 hours between charges. Of course your mileage will very.

As to the questions about rooting you really dont have to worry about s-off unless you are changing ROMs on a regular basis. Unless you need something special, and/or want bragging rights, rooting the phone is enought, then you can find a program on the app store to help customize your phone.

Upvote 0
Quick question about rooting - does this allow you to remove some/most of the unnecessary programs that VM puts on the phone, or do you also need to install a custom ROM to get this ability? Also, do you have to additionally carry out the S-off step? I am just learning, but thought that that was a step necessary to fix the radio problem; does it have other advantages as well?

Holly

If you are looking to remove VM bloatware, I would suggest rooting and flashing the Harmonia ROM. You do not need S-off to do that, and you will have "what a stock rom should have been".

I actually got a dead Anker :( .. and am currently waiting for the replacement. So while I have no real experience with it, there are quite a few people who swear by it. I do have the LAZA, which lasts me (a light user) 3.5 days.

Upvote 0
I hate the stock keyboard ..... so I use Touchpal.
Thanks for that. I download way too many keyboards and switch around depending on what I need. I currently have Swiftkey, Swype, and Thumb, but haven't tried this one. It doesn't look as nice, but seems to work pretty well so far. I love the feature where you can slide up or down for a number or symbol.

Upvote 0
The only real issue with the phone was the radio error and as far as I know, Atleast within the last week most people have received the update. I got mine a little over a week ago and I'm thrilled with it.

I just received my HTC Evo V 4G on Friday - my first Android phone. I like it so far; I don't think you will regret your purchase, either, suvlady.

I downloaded and installed the software update on Sunday, and now I am just trying to learn about the phone - I have a long way to go!

Unlike you, I have been considering rooting the phone, mostly because some of the programs I want to try out require root. Quick question about rooting - does this allow you to remove some/most of the unnecessary programs that VM puts on the phone, or do you also need to install a custom ROM to get this ability? Also, do you have to additionally carry out the S-off step? I am just learning, but thought that that was a step necessary to fix the radio problem; does it have other advantages as well?

(Not trying to hi-jack your thread, suvlady; hopefully you will find this information useful as well. :) )

Holly

Hello All, I just bought an Evo V 4g as an update from my LG Optimus V a couple weeks ago, and just activated it over this past weekend. I am already experiencing the "Radio Interference" error, and I am finding it quite frustrating. It looks like there is a vast wealth of knowledge on this forum, and I was hoping I could tap into it in order to alleviate my frustrations with this phone.

From the sounds of it, there has been some kind of update to fix this error (according to the posts I've quoted above), is there anyone who could tell me where/how I can get this update? Is it something I can download through my phone, or do I need to connect my phone to my computer? (Apologies in advance for my obivous noob-ness when it comes to smartphones).

Thanks for any help y'all can give me.

Upvote 0
Hello All, I just bought an Evo V 4g as an update from my LG Optimus V a couple weeks ago, and just activated it over this past weekend. I am already experiencing the "Radio Interference" error, and I am finding it quite frustrating. It looks like there is a vast wealth of knowledge on this forum, and I was hoping I could tap into it in order to alleviate my frustrations with this phone.

From the sounds of it, there has been some kind of update to fix this error (according to the posts I've quoted above), is there anyone who could tell me where/how I can get this update? Is it something I can download through my phone, or do I need to connect my phone to my computer? (Apologies in advance for my obivous noob-ness when it comes to smartphones).

Thanks for any help y'all can give me.

Go to

Settings/System Updates/HTC Software update.

Check for the update there. If it is not already there, you will get it eventually. Just keep checking.

Reactions: LzeroKI
Upvote 0
Go to

Settings/System Updates/HTC Software update.

Check for the update there. If it is not already there, you will get it eventually. Just keep checking.

Thanks so much for your help, I downloaded and installed the update this evening; I don't want to jinx it, but I haven't had the "Radio Interference" error in the last few hours after updating (after getting that error over half a dozen times in the previous 24 hours).

Thanks for the help; other than that error, I have loved everything about this phone, especially compared to my old LG Optimus V.

There is a thread with the update. If you root you can just update the radio and rcdata stuff ...

HERE is the thread

Thanks for your reply, but everytime I've looked into Rooting this phone as a means to fix the error, I am reminded of how little I know about the inner-workings of smart phones. The tutorials seem to be a mash-up of words and abbreviations that I don't understand. The last time I used a ROM, it was so I could play some SNES games on my computer in middle school.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply, but everytime I've looked into Rooting this phone as a means to fix the error, I am reminded of how little I know about the inner-workings of smart phones. The tutorials seem to be a mash-up of words and abbreviations that I don't understand. The last time I used a ROM, it was so I could play some SNES games on my computer in middle school.

LOL .... fair enough.

But it isn't nearly are daunting as it may seem. This is only my second smart phone, and I bought my first one last fall. The guides here are really easy to comprehend. Also I don't know what a lot of the abbreviations are either, I just follow the directions step by step. :D

I did this one: http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...ing-evo-v-4g-roms-kernels-using-fastboot.html

Upvote 0
Can someone dumb it down for me because i really want to learn.

The link I posted above is what you want to check out. There is even a link in that thread for a video walkthrough. One thing to keep in mind is that your EVO V 4G is physically exactly the same phone as Sprints EVO 3D, so after rooting you want to do Leslie Ann's guide, "Fix everything by turning your phone into an Evo 3d". It's a sticky in the root section.

Then it's ROM time!!! :D I suggest reading some ROM threads in the root section. It that seems over whelming at first, Leslie Ann's Harmonia ROM is a great place to start.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones