1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Bizarre behavior in a Galaxy 4

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by victorboris1, Jun 14, 2016.

1. victorboris1

victorboris1 Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2016
    Male
    Something really weird happened to my mom's phone earlier today. It shut down mid-browsing, refused to be turned back on, and only worked when it was plugged to a charger. After it got plugged, a screen appeared with a warning stating that installing a custom OS could be potentially dangerous to any apps installed. Does anyone have any idea as to what might have happened? The phone is now working as usual. At first I thought this could have been the act of some malware, but what the heck kinda of malware would download an entire custom ROM and goad the user into installing it?

BTW: I've manually disabled OS updates, and the phone's system is only authorized to install app from trusted sources

Advertisement

#1 victorboris1, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    My guess would be that either the battery overheated and it shut itself down or the power was being reported incorrectly and it ran out of juice.

The warning screen is 'download' or 'Odin' mode and its warning is quite dire, but not to worry, it's a normal part of the stock OS. You can access it several ways, but one includes holding a button or combination of buttons and plugging in the USB cable. Not quite sure what that combo is on the S4, but you seem to have stumbled upon it. ;) Trust me, nothing was downloaded or installed. It's just the warning screen of stock maintenance utility.

KOLIO and victorboris1 like this.
  3. victorboris1

victorboris1 Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2016
    Male
    Thanks a lot, Lunatic59. I'll give her the good news. :D

lunatic59 likes this.