1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Black Dialer on stock Galaxy Nexus

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Old Member, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Old Member

Old Member Android Expert
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Male
    Teacher/Church Planter/ Basketball Coach
    Cincinnati
    I have an unlocked, rooted Galaxy Nexus running AXI0M 2.3. My dad has a locked, unrooted stock Galaxy Nexus. He is visually impaired and asked me how I got a black dialer. His dialer is white with black writing. Mine is black with white writing.

I don't recall doing anything in settings to change this. I've looked and can't seem to find a setting to change colors. I don't remember what my stock unrooted dialer looked like. Can anyone speak to this being a ROM'd feature for AXI0M or if there is a setting that I'm missing that can change that for him let me know.

I am aware that there are dialer substitutes in the market (Dailer One, etc.) but can it be changed to black with white without root and without app?

Advertisement

2. tarponbeach

tarponbeach Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 3, 2009
    I have not found a way to do this on an unrooted phone, so I use Dialer One, which looks great with black background and white type.

3. clb2196

clb2196 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    By dialer, we're talking the actual screen where you punch in the phone #s? Because on my locked, unrooted Nexus. it's a dark blue-ish background with blue numbers.

4. teddyearp

teddyearp Android Expert
    None

May 19, 2010
    Store Manager
    Pinetop, AZ
    @ the OP, your dialer has been themed as part of the ROM.

5. ska.t73

ska.t73 Android Expert
    None

Mar 11, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    As Teddy said it is themed with Axi0m. I would second the Dialer One app, it is very nice and will allow you to have the black with white numbers.

6. cggorman

cggorman Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 25, 2010
    I'm pretty sure the dialer shipped with a dark grey background and "nexus blue" text.

Is the black/white a high contrast setting available thru accessibility for the visually impaired?

7. clb2196

clb2196 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    This is the stock dialer. [​IMG]

8. Old Member

Old Member Android Expert
    None

Mar 23, 2010
    Male
    Teacher/Church Planter/ Basketball Coach
    Cincinnati
    This is his stock dialer:

[​IMG]

9. red66charger

red66charger Android Expert
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    Television Production, Producer/Director, Editor
    Belleair Bluffs, FL
    Actually, isn't this the contacts app? I thought the dialer was the phone keypad as show in the post above yours. My stock GNex looks like both of these examples. Contacts have white background and dialer is black with blue numbers.

10. Tim K

Tim K Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2009
    Male
    Phila, PA
    Yes, the "Dialer" is what comes up when you hit the phone button. Its the black background with blue lines and lettering. Its got 3 screens....dial pad, call log, and the 3rd tab is a combo of "starred contacts", frequently called contacts, and then your custom contact list from the "people" app.

The aforementioned "People" app is basically your contact manager and is the screen shown above with the white background and dark lines/text.

In your father's case, I would get him to use the phone app to call his contacts if that is visually better for him. You really only need to go into the "People" app if you need to view more detail or edit your contacts. As long as you've set up your contact display preferences in the "people" app, your dialer app should have all the right contacts listed.

11. rsaritzky

rsaritzky Lurker
    None

Feb 12, 2012
    Hi,

I just upgraded from a Droid 1 to a Galaxy Nexus. I don't particularly like the stock dialer screen (I prefer my numbers to have boxes around them), but what I REALLY don't like is the NEXT screen - the one that is displayed while the call is in progress. The "Action" or "Option" buttons are very tiny - so when I want to switch to speakerphone or bluetooth, instead of my Droid 1's large buttons at the bottom, I have to look at tiny little icons - In fact, I'm not even sure there's a "switch to bluetooth" button at all!

Here's the screen I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

And this is the same screen from my Droid 1 - see the big buttons at the bottom?

[​IMG]

Doing forum and internet searches for this is challenging - how do you indicate you're not looking for info about the phone itself, rather than the "phone" app? Searching on "Dialer" is what got me to this forum thread, but all the dialers I've looked at just handle the screen that you dial from, not the "in progress" screen.

Any suggestions would be helpful - I don't have a custom ROM but I'm willing to do so if necessary.

Thanks

Ron

Tags: