• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Black Friday '13

apple iphone 4 8g $99 at radio shack

galaxy S III at VM site $300.

I thought about the iphone but I think its on the brink of obsolesence. It's running 3g and they're supposed to FINALLY get 4g in my area soon.

Since the SIII is on special now for $320 all I can say is it looks like VM ain't giving anything away on black friday....read the reviews on that galaxy ring, sounds like a real woof woof.

Since I'm feeling itchy for a new phone (had a motorola triumph since launch, still works good but running 2.3 most new apps don't support it) VM might lose me after 5 years if another carrier has a more enticing deal. Maybe the SIII is as good a deal as it gets.

Upvote 0
Funny it's not unlike VM to put a new release out at a cut price, who knows maybe a black friday deal?

The Desire went on sale in Canada last week, for $300 without a contract. It's not considered a high end phone, so $279 seems about right. I wouldn't buy another HTC phone after all the annoying problems the Evo had, but have not had any problems with the S3. Who even knows how much longer HTC will be around anyway, as they have been having all kinds of financial problems.

As far as Black Friday, Virgin could also offer other things on top of price, like service credits. They've done that before. Who knows what other retailers might offer?

Upvote 0
apple iphone 4 8g $99 at radio shack
Since the SIII is on special now for $320 all I can say is it looks like VM ain't giving anything away on black friday....read the reviews on that galaxy ring, sounds like a real woof woof.

vm's big day is cyber monday, sometimes they'll make black friday prices look expensive (a big one from last year being the one v that was $199, was sold for only $49)

I heard the F3 was on sale for $90 somewhere, but i can't remember which store.

looks to be best buy

Upvote 0
Yes, I picked up the one V for $49 during cyber monday last year! However, Amazon seems to price match Virgin so that's where I got mine.. I ordered two and sold one on craigslist that weekend for $125 NIB... Amazon had a two phone limit or I would have purchased $500 worth of them and and would turn a $500 profit probably! HAHA

Upvote 0
Amazon Deal of the Day - November 25
pMLlWRc.jpg

Not Black Friday per say, but noteworthy.

Upvote 0
Dumb question, but the $20 Target special on the ZTE Awe, would it likely no longer be $20 now on Saturday? (I'm guessing so, after all, that's why it's called Black FRIDAY.)

The BF deal ends tonight midnight. There were still plenty on the shelves at the Target I went to yesterday late afternoon. For $19 with the RED card, I couldn't resist... :D

Upvote 0
Picked up an Awe yesterday at Target to replace my daughter's dying Elite. The electronics department was still so swarmed at 1 pm that I could barely get in to make my purchase! Like everyone else, I'm thinking about stopping back to pick up a spare if any are left. Target has really proven itself to be the Black Friday place-to-be for Virgin Mobile users these past few years.

Upvote 0
I was going to buy the Kyocera Event for $20 on Amazon, until I stumbled upon this thread. The ZTE Awe is a great media phone at 20 dollars, and no waiting to use it. Plus it has a slightly larger screen, a newer version of Android, and the reviews are a lot better for the Awe than for the Event. I am replacing an old Optimus S I had been using a media-only phone for the past year and a half (which I also picked up on the cheap, even if used). The Target I visited had run out of the Awes on display, but they brought out more from storage. Seems people are snapping these up for media players or gifts at $20. Only one thing bugs me: I have turned the phone o/off a bit, and it keeps trying to activate. If I do not plan to be on VM in the near future, is there a way to stop this?

Upvote 0
I called the Target & they told me they still had the Awe in stock & the $20 price was still good. I went & on the display it had it at $99.99 and I was like "oh no!" but I asked, and was relieved--it was still $19.99 (and, as I guessed, today was the last day).

I grabbed 2. My wife actually was saying I should buy 4-5 of them because I could sell them for about $50 in a week or so and recoup the $50 I wasted on the Reverb, but I just don't like the idea of doing that. It smacks of something others have done to us before & upset us in doing so. I may sell the 2nd in a couple of weeks for $45 or so, maybe, or just keep it in case the current one gets broken etc.

I also bought a hard-shell case with kickstand for $8 on eBay--I eagerly await its arrival, so I can protect this phone.

So far it seems smooth, it certainly belies its $20 price. I'd seen this model in WalMart a few times before and thought it was some cheap knock-off, sort of like Coby or Insignia etc, but such was not the case. So far anyway I haven't experienced any lock-ups or stickiness, and the GPS locked onto my current location very quickly.

I will post a bit more about it in the other post I did, but short answer--so far, I like it, and I think it definitely is in the Samsung Reverb/Ring class easily, and with a more "pure" version of Android to boot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones