1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

black screen and battery drain

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Android Question

None
    hello there,
    i own a chinese no brand phone (alps motherboard 20130325_e2001_v89_jdt1qhd) mtk 6589 /1GB RAM and i had no problems for the last 6 months.
    2 weeks ago i noticed that during idling and with no apps running the screen just went black and there was no way of making the phone to respond without removing the battery and clicking it back in.when i finally powered it on i saw that the battery level droped dramatically as if the phone was working with the wifi,or 3g on,meaning thet the processor worked hard during the period that i couldn't access my phone.
    the same thing went on and on and i realized that the phone warms in the area of the cpu when that happens.that happens randomly and could drain my battery in a few hours if not attended.i restored the phone to its factory settings and havent loaded the same apps as before but i still have the same problem.could a different rom solve the issue or is it a hardware problem?
    thanks in advance
    Dim

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    We need to know one hing first: When you look at the battery stats after restarting, did the voltage drop drastically in a very short time (like almost instantly), or did it take 15 minutes or more?

An almost instantaneous battery drop to almost 0 Volts, followed by a recovery to some higher level after you remove and replace the battery would indicate an internal short in the battery. (It's an impurity intruduced because of dirt in the room dur9ing manufacture. A crystal grows across the battery, shorting it - which locks the phone up or turns it off) - and at the same time drains the voltage to almost 0 and produced a lot of heat for a very short time. (Which keeps the battery warm for minutes.) This is actually a manufacturing defect (on the part of the supplier the phone manufacturer buys its batteries from), but you'll almost never convince anyone of that and you'll have to replace the battery.

If not, it could be a short somewhere on the motherboard, causing similar, but not as drastic results. That's usually not worth fixing in phones like that because the repair bill would exceed the price of the phone. (Opening the phone up, removing the motherboard, replacing it and closing the phone up is usually more expensive than the phone, not even counting the price of the new motherboard. Or the time it takes to diagnose that the motherboard is bad.)

3. voidok

voidok Lurker
    None

Jan 31, 2014
    thank you for the reply.
    the battery works just fine.
    the percentage drop of the battery is a result of how many hours that ''black out'' occurs.i use the ''battery hd'' app to see its stats and when the problem appears, the battery drops about 10% per hour meaning that if i fully charge the phone (100%) at 00.00 in the night and at 01.00 the problem appears, if i notice that in the morning when i wake up at 07.00 the battery will have decreased about 60%... its realy annoying and i have to check every now and then to see if i have any power left...
    thanks in advance
    Dim