• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Black Screen following firmware update!

ryanstanikk

Oct 16, 2010
Hi all,

I just plugged into Kies and performed a Firmware update, which I assume was the Froyo update. It all ran it's course perfectly and the phone then went to reboot. Following this, it hung on the Galaxy S animated screen before simply going to a black screen (I know the phone is still on, because the two bottom corner buttons will light up if pressed).

I realise that this black screen is quite common, and that people suggest booting into recovery mode. The problem is, I've never been able to get my phone into recovery mode. I turn the phone on and hold down Power + Home + Voume Up for a couple of seconds and then let go... it does nothing, it just goes onto the Vodafone screen and then carries on booting.

I also tried holding down these buttons for a little longer, but all that it does is pushes the phone into a constant restart loop (as obviously I'm holding down the power button).

I could really do with some advice here!

Thanks

Ryan

Hold down volume up button, hold down power button and then hold down home button. After you see the Galaxy S i9000 screen, release the power button BUT keep holding the volume up and home button untill you get to recovery mode. See if that works.

If you manage to get there, do a factory reset/data wipe.

If you still cannot get into recovery, you can try the heat up method as last resort, but it would probably be safer to return it and have it repaired, as it was Kies that ****ed your phone and not Odin flashing or something.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I realise that this black screen is quite common, and that people suggest booting into recovery mode. The problem is, I've never been able to get my phone into recovery mode. I turn the phone on and hold down Power + Home + Voume Up for a couple of seconds and then let go... it does nothing, it just goes onto the Vodafone screen and then carries on booting.

Thanks

Ryan

Change the sequence for holding down the buttons - volumeup, then home, then power button. Hold them all down together for as long as it takes, until the recovery screen appears - this could be 3 0r 4 secs. This is what worked for me

Upvote 0
If you don't want to send your phone back for repair, you can try the heating up method, but you have to really careful and cautious while doing so:

1) remove the battery + SIM
2) use hair dryer on the back of the phone from safe distance to make it almost too warm to touch
3) insert batery and try the 3 button combo then

As I said earlier, it really is a last resort solution for those not wanting to send back the phone, it's worth a shot if you ask me, but the decision is yours obviously.

Upvote 0
I think I'll avoid that. I think I used the Android SDK application to put my phone into recovery mode once before. It all depends whether the application can see the phone or not though I suppose.

I'm pretty sure your phone has to be on with USB debugging ticked. Seeing how you last connected your phone via Kies (which requires it to be ticked OFF), you are probably out of luck with that one. You are free to try though.:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones