1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

blackberry convert...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bulkhead_SD, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Bulkhead_SD

Bulkhead_SD Lurker
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    Hello All,

I am a long-time blackberry user (10+ years) who is now considering a new generation phone.

Primary consideration for me is the ability to run apps, expandable addressable memory and the ability to upgrade the OS over time as new versions are available or as hybrids or hacks emerge that are compelling.

I am not a traditional consumer level buyer, but rather want an "open" platform that will allow me to extend the life of my device through upgrades.

I am not interested in chat, games, movies, music, etc.. I want robust integration with my company Exchange server to allow tight address book, calendar and email functionality. Access to a web-based CRM tool via a fast browser interface will be very helpful as well. I travel nationally in a business development role so I am mobile more than I am in an office, so I need to be connected. The desire is to be able to do so via a new phone rather than an old phone and a laptop. ( I may go to a mini netbook)

I've come here to learn more about Android, the carrier-specific constraints and recommendations about hardware manufacturers from you all.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Advertisement

2. Bulkhead_SD

Bulkhead_SD Lurker
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    Could someone please point me to the technical forum?

I don't own an Android phone yet so I am looking for information to make an informed purchase decision.

I'd like to ask some questions or read about the ability to expand memory. How much memory is addressable versus just document or data storage. Where does one fine OS upgrades, hacks, etc.. How do you remove unneeded modules from the OS to maximize available RAM? ETC...

thx!!

3. ipodman

ipodman Member
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    As little as I can
    On the Web
    blackberry convert...

Not surprised. They are Poo.
    (couldn't get it off BOLD??)

4. ipodman

ipodman Member
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    As little as I can
    On the Web
    hi,

Sorry, i've chopped your message up to make it easier to answer.

(I answered my thoughts on these, you're making a good choice)

(You can have it all, but you'll only be able to expand the memory up to that which is available, most will take either 32 or 64GB now.)

(It would be nice, but manufacturers bring out all the new gadgets just after you bought this one. Yes, you could keep the first Android phone you buy, and it would last you, but soon enough, the new, 2 trillion pixel screen, with 3d holographic video imaging...)

(You need a 64gb Wifi / 3G iPad, trust me, they are ACE)

(Need to know where you are)

5. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    Welcome to the Android Forums!

What you are going to find is that no platform is truly open and upgradeable. With the newest Android tablets we're now starting to see a means of adding more memory to the device. You can currently install a larger micro SD card but that's not exactly a memory upgrade as much as it's a disk space upgrade.

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Here's our overall index - http://androidforums.com/

I'd recommend that you re-post those questions here - Android Lounge - Android Forums

And perhaps before doing so, look through the thread titles - you'll find many new users with your same questions and many of those threads are easy, helpful reads.

Welcome!