1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support blank external sd card

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by miyo05, May 13, 2011.

1. miyo05

miyo05 Lurker
    None

May 13, 2011
    just got my 4g samsung epic..and my sd card is not workin..i lost all my downloaded music and saved pictures. what should i do?

Advertisement

2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...
    None

Jul 9, 2010
    Male
    Engineer
    'neath a cactus
    Welcome to the Android Forums!

MakeItUp likes this.
  3. kgower1981

kgower1981 Lurker
    None

May 29, 2011
    I am also having this issue. I woke up this morn. and my phone worked just fine. No errors no SD card problems. About 30 min go by and i get on my phone to check wassup on facebook and there is a small SD card with a line across it, i then drag down the status window and it says "blank External SD card, SD card blank or has unsupported file system". so i tap it and it asks me if i want to erase all info on the card. So at this point i am upset.... So i try to access the cards file system through the My Files app and it says there is no SD card inserted in the phone. i take the back off and the card is in place and clicked in place. so i take the battery out, then the card. i wait like 5 min. before i put it all back together and the phone still shows the same msgs. So then i get my USB cable and hook it to my computer to see if i can access the card this way and the computer does not bring up the phone or card drive in the My Computer location. the computer sees that the phone is connected but will not show the file system on the phone. so then i take the card out of the phone and put it in the SD card slot in my PC, the PC sees the card, Makes a drive letter for it (E:) but when i go to explore it, it tells me that it can not access the file system, please reformat the card. I know you dont want to format the card on the PC so i took the card out of the PC, Back in to the phone and try to format it. When i tap on the format option in the SD Card mem info, Nothing happens, i tap it again... still nothing..... I am lost...

I had done nothing to my phone or the card over the past week.... Nothing out of the ordinary, today was the first time in 3 weeks that i had hooked the phone up to my PC. Had DL an app from the app store yesterday, it was just a game, but the phone and SD card had worked just fine all day yesterday and for 30 min this morn.
    Any suggestions? HELP :(

4. rounsy222

rounsy222 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    machinist
    superior wi

You could try reformatting it in your phone or depending on when you got your phone bring it to sprint for them to exchange it.

5. rounsy222

rounsy222 Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 16, 2010
    machinist
    superior wi
    Were you given the option to mount or unmount your card? You need to unmount your card to format it. If its not giving you that option then card is probably toast. Could try trying another card just to make sure if you have one or trying your local sprint repair to check it and the phone out.

6. danwms

danwms Newbie
    None

May 31, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    MAnchester
    I am having this exact same issue, did it ever get fixed?

7. GomerBoy

GomerBoy Well-Known Member
    None

May 30, 2011
    I am having this same issue also and I just got my phone on Thursday!:( It is weird because my sd card was fine up until 2 hours ago. My phone just randomly stopped reading my sd card...very frustrating!:mad: I will be taking my phone to my local Sprint store tomorrow to see if my phone is defected or if it is a bad memory card.

8. GomerBoy

GomerBoy Well-Known Member
    None

May 30, 2011
    People with this problem...it is mostly likely that your sd card is bad or corrupted. I just put my brother's sd card in my Epic and it read it with no problem. I guess some of us got bad sd cards with our Epics!:(

9. T00FAST4L0VE

T00FAST4L0VE Lurker
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    I just got this phone from the insurance company sprint works with because my last phone (which was an absolute piece of crap btw) got stolen. Everything was working fine and I started to think my old one was just a lemon and my faith had been redeemed in the galaxy s series finally. BUT of course out of nowhere comes the same problem you all are having. The sd icon with the line through it, the option to reformat which does nothing when you click it, erased pics and music.... everything. And it REALLY pisses me off. I hate this stupid f-ing phone and I miss the CRAP outa my iphone more than ever. I realize it's most likely corrupted but is there ANYTHING I can possibly do oher than buying a new sd card? Ya know, I'm reeeeaaallly starting to think they make these lame excuses for phones flimsy and problem riddled on purpose so you'll have to spend even MORE ridiculous piles of money on parts to fix them.

Bogus...
    -Angel Amore

10. jgorm

jgorm Member
    None

Sep 23, 2008
    I think there is an issue with SD cards on these phones. My last phone ate one SD card. It couldn't be formatted on my computer either. I bought a new one, then I got the same damaged SD card a week later. The phone would not connect to a computer via mass storage, even with the new card. They gave me a new phone at the sprint store. I backed up my sd card weekly after loosing all my pictures. Then the files on my sd card started getting corrupted and the file names would change some of the letters to computer symbols and the files would no longer work. About 20% of my pictures just showed up as red X's. Even with the new phone, after about a month I was not able to do anything with the phone tethered as mass storage. It would connect just fine, but then it would unconnect, then reconnect about every 30 seconds. I unplugged and replugged it a bunch of times too. I'm getting sick of this buggy crap. My other problem is a major problem and my email on my company's exchange server is useless. I can send new emails and receive them, but I can't reply or forward because it messes up and puts html code in there with a million <br> things where there are line breaks. It looks like this.
    Hello sir<br><br>test email test<br><br>thanks,<br><br>joe<br><br>sent from samsung epic<br><br>
    This will be my 4th SD card that the phone as destroyed, and I never even remove it!

11. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Lurker
    None

Apr 27, 2011
    I am now having this same issue. I'm guessing my card is toast, but what is bothering me is what caused it. It just happened out of nowhere. My phone was sitting on my desk at work, I picked it up to see if anyone had texted me, and saw the icon at the top. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. That's what is really bothering me the most. Of course, I'll also take suggestions on how to fix it, but I'm sure I'll most likely end up at the Sprint store in the near future.

Thanks for everyone's time and input.

12. brijahn

brijahn Lurker
    None

Mar 20, 2010
    I'm curious what happened since your last post. I'm having the same issue that you describe, 2 SD cards in 2 days. I'm guessing there's an issue with the phone itself. I wouldn't think 2 cards would just fail on there own. The cards are completely unreadable and unable to be formatted on the phone, on a tablet, or on a PC.

13. jimweda

jimweda Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 16, 2011
    There seems to be a lot of different issues with SD cards and the Epic. I have talked to Sprint so many times since Aug 12, 2011 when I first upgraded to this phone because I have had nothing but problems with these phones. 3 exchanges later and I still don't have it more than about 70% stable which I had to do on my own since Sprint's answer was always to do a hard reset and start all over. I got tired of that and did my own research and experimenting.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic. Basically what's happened is that there is a problem with the phone itself and Sprint is aware of the problem but not advertising the issue. What I'm hoping is that when Gingerbread finally gets released for the Epic it may fix a lot of the problems the Epic crowd seems to be having. I know a lot of people do not think the OTA Gingerbread is going to be released but I believe it will and before the end of the year. Right now it's targeted for November unless they continue to have a bunch of bad error's which is why it wasn't released in October.

My problem with all 3 phone's I've been through regarding the SD card is that the phone would always recognize the card being in the slot but would not always mount the files on the phone. I can see the card in the settings menu but they would show up as generic icons that were unusable. I have to keep rebooting the phone until it eventually loads everything and all is working again. PIA for sure but I think Gingerbread will address some of these problems. If you're tired of your Epic and the issue's that it's having and you're covered with the protection plan I would get the exchanges up to number 4 and they will have to give you the option of exchanging for another brand phone. I'm on 3 and they are trying to switch me over to the HTC Evo 4G, Nexus S but I don't want those phones. They are the old one's not the new one's. The Epic 4G is a great phone when it's working and its hard to beat even by last years standards but it really need's more internal memory and better Quality Control because the problems are all over the place and not consistent with all users.

I kick myself for not waiting 2 more weeks because that's when the Epic 4G Touch came out and as much as I've bugged Sprint, they would not allow me to upgrade to that phone even if I offered to pay extra for the upgrade which really upsets me. The other choice was the Photon 4G but they won't allow that one either. Sprint has gotten worse over the years, especially the last 2 but regardless, no matter who you go to they will get you one way or another. It just depends on which way you're willing to accept. There is no perfect service provider out there. I may just wait about 6 months, get the iPhone and be done with all the problems. I'm new to Android and I like it but I'm a hardcore Apple fan but the only reason I didn't go with the iPhone was because of AT&T. Verizon wasn't my favorite either so once Sprint customer's test out the iPhone 5 and it seems to work fine I'll eventually switch over to that as well. It's just a more stable platform and has a ton more apps that I'm already used to using with my iPod Touch 2nd Gen.

Jim