• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Blank screen but still works

fezzle

Oct 24, 2011
I pulled my phone out from my pocket about an hour ago to find out something is wrong with the screen. When I turn it on, it remains blank, though the shade of black changes thanks to the backlight.

After doing some experimentation, I noticed that the phone itself is still functioning. For example, there is haptic feedback, sound still emits from it, and from memory I was able to pull down the notification bar to adjust the brightness setting (which it did). Yet the screen remains blank.

I notice towards the bottom right corner that when I turn the screen "on" there is a tiny white line, something that almost looks like a scratch. The line goes away when I turn the screen off.

My first thoughts is somehow the screen was somehow damaged, but the phone had been fine 30 minutes prior and nothing had occurred in between that time.

My phone is an Asurion refurb with a Hitachi screen and it is running BACKside ROM (one of the early January builds).

Someone please help!!!! I'm slightly more than freaking out right now.

Thought a visual might help here. As you can see, there is what looks like a crack when the screen is turned "on" but it goes away when I turn the screen "off".

p1030021h.jpg

Upvote 0
Well I called Asurion. They say my warranty's voided because of the crack, and there's no proof to whether or not it was faulty when I received it.

A bunch of bullshit. I'm gonna get the phone repaired locally for cheaper than the deductible.

And I'm immediately canceling my insurance. Waste of money.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones