1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Blank screen via a hovering finger

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by farmersboy, Aug 13, 2011.

1. farmersboy

farmersboy Newbie
    None

Aug 13, 2011
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Brackley, UK
    My wife's compained this morning that sometimes, when she pulls down the notifications bar from the top of the screen, the screen blanks out. On further investigation I found that you don't even have to touch the screen - just hover your finger over the top left hand corner of the screen and it blanks out.

Is there a light sensor there, and has anyone else experienced this problem? I have a Desire too and I can't replicate this problem.

Advertisement

2. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    Being Lazy
    Thailand
    It's the proximity sensor located in the black screen surround in the top left corner.

It's designed to black out the screen as you describe when you lift your phone to your ear to conserve the battery.

Seems like your wife is complaining about a phone that functions correctly and you are not complaining about a phone that doesn't........ go figure :)

3. farmersboy

farmersboy Newbie
    None

Aug 13, 2011
    Male
    Design Engineer
    Brackley, UK
    No, her phone doesn't operate correctly, because the screen blanks out when you're not holding it to your ear - it also does it when you go to pull the notification bar down if your finger is a little too near the left-hand corner, at any time, when you're not making a phone call. I cannot replicate this on my Desire, ergo I assume it's a fault with her phone.

Go figure...

4. micktee28

micktee28 Member
    None

Sep 5, 2010
    Your right as the sensor should only work when a phone call is active. There are a few apps about that will turn the proximity sensor on all the time. I have one as I was constantly unlocking the phone and making calls whilst it was in my pocket. Just worth a check through your wife's apps to make sure one hasn't been downloaded mistakenly.

Tags: