• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bleeding battery life after ANDROID 5.0 Update

anaiya

Lurker
Jul 30, 2014
I installed android 5.0 a few days ago. It's been working ok apart from some minor glitches/lagging but yesterday my G3 started to seriously bleed battery life. It went from 45% in my pocket to completely dead within a couple of hours. When plugged in it charges extremely slowly, and only if wifi, data and everything else is switched off.
No new apps installed since. And it's the same with all my chargers.

I haven't tried a factory reset yet because I need to back up stuff first (and they, frankly, scare me).

Has anyone else experienced this?

Mine's been doing very well since I upgraded, but by now I have lots of experience with the new OS having upgraded the seven Androids for the family and six of my own.

Battery life can be a challenge if one doesn't have lots of patience to go through all the Settings after performing the upgrade. The defaults changed inexplicably on two phones, once I discovered that, battery life went right back to where it had been and now they're doing very well.

Thus my suggestion is double check and see. You may be pleased to find that's all it takes.

Upvote 0
My G3 has experienced major drainage while at work. Like 10% per hour. I hardly use my phone. I do have wifi on and my regular signal goes anywhere from low 3g to decent 4g lte. I got the free battery& charger from LG and am starting to understand why it was free. I can usually tell my phone is draining rapidly when I start feeling my leg getting hot. I take out the battery and it is fairly warm, but not extremely hot. I've heard that this could be caused by the phone switching back and forth between wifi and my Verizon signal.

I didn't have nearly this many problems with my S4 until right before I got rid of it. My boss keeps telling me to switch to an iphone, and how he had nothing but problems with android phones. but I am kind of a loyalist. I will be dropping verizon when i pay off my phone. $100/mo is insane.

Upvote 0

I have a D851 with 4.4.2 10r software on T-Mobile.

You can download GSAM battery monitor or BetterBatteryStats to find out which apps are draining your phone.

I used Wakelock Detector to find out which wakelocks were draining my battery. I had Google Play Services NlpCollectorWakelock and NlpWakelock along with Phone RILJ wakelock draining my battery somewhat. I use Wakelock Terminator to kill those.

I get 1% to 2% drain during my 6 hour sleep. I can easily get 2 days (48) hours use from my phone and up to 5 hours screen on time unless I'm constantly using my phone for watching videos or surfing.

Or, you can remove apps one at a time to find out what is draining your battery. My phone does not get hot when not in use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones