• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bloat Freezer. Have you tried it?

colornshape

Android Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2009
Minneapolis
It's a dollar right now, and prevents selected apps from launching and showing up in the app drawer. Since there is plenty of disk space, I think this is a great alternative to removing bloatware.

note: when I froze Voice Commands, it got stuck in a FC loop and I had to do a battery pull. It map frozen when the phone booted, but I was spooked so I unfroze it.

Anyway, I think this program might be a good deal for people like me who know just enough to get into trouble.

Thoughts?

Matt

I use titanium backup to freeze applications and it does so much more. :)

Hey guys I am the dev of Bloat Freezer so you can let me know if you have any issues/suggestions.

And yes Titanium Backup Premium also freezes and has lots more features, I purchased it myself, but it costs $6 which is super expensive if you are buying it JUST for the freezing.

Upvote 0
Hey guys I am the dev of Bloat Freezer so you can let me know if you have any issues/suggestions.

And yes Titanium Backup Premium also freezes and has lots more features, I purchased it myself, but it costs $6 which is super expensive if you are buying it JUST for the freezing.

Moments before I started this thread, I commented in a thread the dev started. Strange.

Upvote 0

Mod,

On behalf of AF, I want to warmly welcome you. We love to have Devs here.

Steven

Upvote 0

Agreed, it is costly if that is all you use it for, I was more qualifying as to a reason I didn't buy your application considering I have had TiBu for quite a while now.

Anyway, good on you for being active on the forums. I have nothing but love for devs that are part of the actual community. :D

Upvote 0
I use Bloat Freezer and it works great. I didn't care about the backup functions of Titanium Backup, so I bought Bloat Freezer instead since it was a fraction of the price. I don't have any complaints about it. You launch it, it brings up a list of apps, and you click on the ones you want to freeze. They disappear from the app list after that.

Upvote 0
It's a dollar right now, and prevents selected apps from launching and showing up in the app drawer. Since there is plenty of disk space, I think this is a great alternative to removing bloatware.

note: when I froze Voice Commands, it got stuck in a FC loop and I had to do a battery pull. It map frozen when the phone booted, but I was spooked so I unfroze it.

Anyway, I think this program might be a good deal for people like me who know just enough to get into trouble.

Thoughts?

Matt

Also, don't freeze Backup Assistant unless you make dead sure you've got your contacts on Google. I thought I did (apparently not), and my phone spontaneously deleted half my contacts when I froze BA, and I had to go to the Verizon website directly to re-send my contacts back. (Note: running BA after unfreezing BA delected the rest of my contacts. So, yeah. Don't freak yourself out if you do this like I did, just go to the website and re-send them back. They'll be in the Trash. Seriously.)

Upvote 0
I use TiBU for freezing, but here's an idea for the dev...

Maybe have it give indications on whether freezing an app is safe, not safe, or unknown. It would take a bit of research on your part (grabbing from various threads) and would be device/version dependent (I'm guessing), so not sure if you want to tackle that. It would be an awesome feature though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones