• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root BLOATWARE - Lets make a list of everything safe to remove

I am soo confused.
I made my backup and then I purchased Root Explorer.
First - I see that I am in r/o mode. How do I get root permission from within RootExplorer
Second - What folder do I navigate to so I can copy the bloatware to my sd card?

Root Explorer lets you explore your phone once you are already rooted. You need to BE ROOTED to use Root Explorer. Once you're in system/app you click MOUNT R/W and then you can modify the folder. Don't forget to click MOUNT R/O when you're done.

As I mentioned in the other thread you're probably better off just installing Iced Glacier.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=844594

Upvote 0
Root Explorer lets you explore your phone once you are already rooted. You need to BE ROOTED to use Root Explorer. Once you're in system/app you click MOUNT R/W and then you can modify the folder. Don't forget to click MOUNT R/O when you're done.

As I mentioned in the other thread you're probably better off just installing Iced Glacier.

ICE GLACIER Version 1.1.6 - 01/18/2011 >Bugfixes** - xda-developers

Easier way. Titanium Back (free) will list all system and user apps and gives the option to uninstall (and remove data).

Of course, you have to be rooted.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. As I said in my prior message, I was finally rooted and made my backup. Tonight I will get rid of the bloatware (thanks for giving me the directory name of where to go). And even though I bought root explorer, I will also look at Titanium Back up.

As for going to Iced Glacier... I don't think I am ready to do that yet. I don't have a real issue with the launcher or the speed at this time. Why? well most of the day I don't have access to my phone (I can't have it in my office where I work) so I mostly use the phone at nights and on weekends. And when I do use my phone at home, it is either my wi-fi hot spot or I am in "airplane mode" - reading an ebook or playing a game.:eek:

BUT when I am ready for a different rom. I will then explore IG.

Agnes
cause "It's so fluffy!"

Upvote 0
I am just starting to remove some of the bloatware and I thought I would remove the TMobile App Pack.

I have Visionary installed and I have it set up as TempRoot on Boot.

I am using Root Explorer and have R/W
I then renamed the AppPack.apk to AppPack.bapk
I then moved it to a folder on my sd card. I also verfied that it was no longer in the system\app folder
I then rebooted.
I then looked in my app drawer, and the app is still there AND when I go down to the folder system\app - the package AppPack.apk is still there.

I just realized I am not going back to R/O in RootExplorer - could that be the problem???
--update: Nope, that does not work either

Thanks
Anges.

Upvote 0
I am just starting to remove some of the bloatware and I thought I would remove the TMobile App Pack.

I have Visionary installed and I have it set up as TempRoot on Boot.

I am using Root Explorer and have R/W
I then renamed the AppPack.apk to AppPack.bapk
I then moved it to a folder on my sd card. I also verfied that it was no longer in the system\app folder
I then rebooted.
I then looked in my app drawer, and the app is still there AND when I go down to the folder system\app - the package AppPack.apk is still there.

I just realized I am not going back to R/O in RootExplorer - could that be the problem???
--update: Nope, that does not work either

Thanks
Anges.

You need perm root and s-off for the changes to stick.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This was the first thread I came across in my journey to root my new Mytouch 4G phone. I've deleted all the apps on the OP's list, which also bugged the heck out of me, but can't seem to find a few that are constantly re-running themselves after being killed.

Dragon Dictation
News
Pico tts
NabService

I can't seem to find any of them in the /App folder and none of them seem to affect the phone when I manually stop them, but they are always running when I reboot. Pico must be part of the spiderweb of google services, and I have no use for Dragon Dictation or the "News" service. And I have no idea whatsoever what Nabservice does at all except take up memory. Does anyone know if these are named something different in the App folder?

Upvote 0
This was the first thread I came across in my journey to root my new Mytouch 4G phone. I've deleted all the apps on the OP's list, which also bugged the heck out of me, but can't seem to find a few that are constantly re-running themselves after being killed.

Dragon Dictation
News
Pico tts
NabService

I can't seem to find any of them in the /App folder and none of them seem to affect the phone when I manually stop them, but they are always running when I reboot. Pico must be part of the spiderweb of google services, and I have no use for Dragon Dictation or the "News" service. And I have no idea whatsoever what Nabservice does at all except take up memory. Does anyone know if these are named something different in the App folder?

Dragon Dictation is probably the keyboard. Pico is the speech to text (the voice for your navigation) and I dunno wtf NabService is. News is probably related to the "news" account and an available widget. Not sure what it's called.

I've been running cm7 for the past 4 months and love it. Much lighter, leaner and faster and I've actually found it to be less buggy than MySense.

Upvote 0
I found that HTCGreader.apk is responsible for the NEWS application constantly updating in the background.

I had to re-enable Pico tts to regain voiced turn-by-turn directions in the Navigation app.

I nixed VVM.apk, which I thought was responsible for Visual Voicemail, but it's still running on every re-boot and has to be killed manually.

Nixed NabService.apk as well. Not sure what it does, but everything seems to be working okay without it.

Can't find the Dragon Dictation app, but my guess is that I need that for giving voice commands to my phone. Either way, I'm very pleased with my rooted phone which seems to be running faster without all the bloat. And, for the record, I just used the renaming .apk to .bapk method after rooting, so as not to accidentally delete a necessary file.

Upvote 0
Didn't use the Root Explorer-move method mentioned above, but used Bloat Freezer to freeze the apps instead.

As of now, my MT4G is perm-rooted and still running on stock ROM.

I may seem a bit overly aggressive, but I'm curious. :D Also, this list has worked for me for the past week on my phone, no guarantee on others. Please use caution and advice from OP.

Here's the list:

• Barcode Scanner *redundant coz of Google Goggles*
  • Bookmark widget
  • Magic Smoke Wallpapers
  • Mail (com.htc.android.mail) *I use GMail exclusively*
  • Mail Widget
  • Music Visualization Wallpapers
  • NabServices
  • PhotoBackup (com.tmobile.photobackup)
  • Screen Share
  • Swype
  • Visual Voicemail

And then here's more that are possibly waiting for a disaster to happen (although so far so good):

• Internet *I use Dolphin HD and Opera Mini exclusively*

• myModes:
    Only drawback: disables Themes under Settings/Personalize. In my case, I simply defrost it if I want to change themes.

• Genius Button (com.nuance.android.vsuite.vsuiteapp) *2 things to notice*
    1. I remapped the physical Genius Button using Root Explorer.
    2. Upon freezing the Genius Button, vsuiteapp will go nuts and foce close non-stop. After a simple battery pull, Genius Button is never to be seen again.

2011-05-12 Update
Internet
Freezing Internet will cause Voice Search to force close. Once frozen, defrosting Internet will cause "UID inconsistent" error.
So, all is well if you freeze Internet, except you will give up Voice Search as well.

Reactions: Phateless
Upvote 0
Okay dl the root explorer and did exactly what you said and i get WARNING... selected items cannot be moved because the file system is read only.

Am i in the wrong folder? Also will this help eliminate the file and icon on reboot?

Thanks

I did the same with root explorer and got the same message. Finally got Titanium Backup and got rid of these system apps easily.

Upvote 0
bringing this back with a little problem. i uninstalled a system app accidentally using TB and now im not sure how to reinstall it. i see an apk file but after pressing install it says it wasnt installed. any ideas?

Use Root Explorer to manually move it back to system/app. If you just install it will install to data/app. After you move it back you need to long-press and edit to permissions to match those around it.

You might have to reboot afterward.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones