• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bloatware

After rooting I went overboard and assuming you're using this as an actual phone my 'Removals' will not work for you. I use mine as an MP3 player and Media Device/Remote for my 360/XBone, and WDTV. I removed all the carrier stuff, the phone/messaging and even some other little things. Basically I can tell you it works well for what I'm purposing it for, however clicking 'Status' under 'About Phone' in settings errors out, but that doesn't bother me.

Upvote 0
Just wondering what the rest of you have deleted, froze...etc

Always nervous that I'll ditch something that is needed by something else.

Here's a list of stuff I froze. I deleted VM bloatware and Swype. I dont recommend you delete Chrome, when it it screwed up the Browser not letting it download anything.

Frozen
Music (not Play)
Browser (Android)
AOSP Keyboard
Voicemail
Play Books
Play Mags
Play Games
Play movies
G+
Gmail
Hangout
Youtube
Qualcomm Location
World Time

Upvote 0
Heads up! I froze these apps (phone related apps) and they basically crashed my phone.

I used Bloatware Freezer Free to freeze these apps (it gave me the green light lol):
phone, contacts, contacts storage, Google contacts sync, messaging, and phone/messaging storage.

Upon rebooting my phone, I got stuck in the continuous loop of popups saying "Unfortunately, phone has stopped working." Luckily, I was able to navigate my phone between each popup (like .5 second) and unfreeze those apps.
Not sure which apps are the problem but my guess is the storage apps; I had frozen phone and messaging apps previously, both without problems. It was only until I froze the storage apps that my phone crashed. But I could be wrong.

Reactions: krikit
Upvote 0
I used root uninstaller pro to delete everything virgin related but some apps would refuse to uninstall so I disabled them. I use mine as a primary phone and testing performance for rbheromax so I need everything disabled as possible while leaving the core functions intact. Scored almost 20000 on AnTutu a couple times with one of the test kernels

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones