• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Block .902 notification?

Don't want to update.. i.e. i have tons of removed bloatware and dont want to deal with it.

How do i block the notification of the update? It's annoying the crap out of me.

The only way I know to stop the notification would be to update, or go to a ROM that disables the update manager...

I'm not 100% sure about this, but you might be able to freeze the update manager on the phone, but I don't know how dangerous that is.

Upvote 0
The method to do that on the OG Droid was to edit the build.prop file and fool the updater into thinking the update was already applied thus stopping notifications. I'm not sure if that will work on the bionic or exactly what needs to be changed in the Bionic version of the file. Maybe some of the real gurus around here know...

Upvote 0
Here are the release-keys id for .902. You may be able to edit your build.prop file with these values so that it appears your phone already has .902:

ro.build.description=cdma_targa-user 2.3.4 5.5.1_84_DBN-71 120106 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/targa_vzw/cdma_targa:2.3.4/5.5.1_84_DBN-71/120106:user/release-keys

Reactions: SNeitzel
Upvote 0
Here are the release-keys id for .902. You may be able to edit your build.prop file with these values so that it appears your phone already has .902:

ro.build.description=cdma_targa-user 2.3.4 5.5.1_84_DBN-71 120106 release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=verizon/targa_vzw/cdma_targa:2.3.4/5.5.1_84_DBN-71/120106:user/release-keys

Interesting thought. Let me try this and report back.

Upvote 0
Additional note: If you use Root Explorer, it will rename the original build.prop to build.prop.bak so you can easily go back if necessary. You might even want to rename the .bak file to build.prop.original in case you edit the file more than once so you will have the original.

This method always worked for the original Droid so when using custom roms you could avoid OTA's.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones