• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Block ota, Stop ota, Prevent ota, Remove ota, system update messges 2.1 to 2.2

awareness

Lurker
Sep 3, 2010
Got my Verizon HTC Incredible 2.1 to stop the annoying system update messages.

these are the steps I used:

download android sdk, unzip and copy all files and folders to c:\sdk
root phone with unrevoked3 (see youtube)
Boot into Clockworkmod recovery (dwn vol btn + pwr btn)
press volume down to select "Recovery", then press power.
at Clockworkmod main menu press volume down until "mounts and storage" is highlighted and select it with the optical joystick
then select with the optical joystick "mount /system"
on your computer click Start > Run, and type CMD to open a command prompt
at the command prompt type cd\sdk\tools
at the next command prompt type adb shell
type mkdir /system/app/disabled
type mv /system/app/SystemUpdater.apk /system/app/disabled/
(notice caps in SystemUpdater.apk)
(SystemUpdater.apk app is now located in the disabled folder)
at Clockworkmod partitions menu select with the optical joystick "unmount /system"
press power btn and select "reboot" and unplug the USB cable

Good Luck.

Got my Verizon HTC Incredible 2.1 to stop the annoying system update messages.

these are the steps I used:

download android sdk, unzip and copy all files and folders to c:\sdk
root phone with unrevoked3 (see youtube)
Boot into Clockworkmod recovery (dwn vol btn + pwr btn)
press volume down to select "Recovery", then press power.
at Clockworkmod main menu press volume down until "mounts and storage" is highlighted and select it with the optical joystick
then select with the optical joystick "mount /system"
on your computer click Start > Run, and type CMD to open a command prompt
at the command prompt type cd\sdk\tools
at the next command prompt type adb shell
type mkdir /system/app/disabled
type mv /system/app/SystemUpdater.apk /system/app/disabled/
(notice caps in SystemUpdater.apk)
(SystemUpdater.apk app is now located in the disabled folder)
at Clockworkmod partitions menu select with the optical joystick "unmount /system"
press power btn and select "reboot" and unplug the USB cable

Good Luck.

I just picked up a Droid Incredible from Verizon. It was already a 2.2 phone and even while in the store it started nagging about "System Update" so I kept pressing "Install Later".

As soon as I got home I ran Unrevoked3 and achieved S-OFF and got root access. Was able to install rooted apps (WiFi Tether, Root Explorer, Shoot Me, etc). Even able to get to "#" prompt from adb shell. But the damn system update nag still comes up every 20 min.

I looked under /system/app and there is no SystemUpdater.apk. There was an Updater.apk and Updater.odex so I moved those 2 to /system/app/disabled and rebooted, but damn... still the system update nag! :mad:

Anyone know the actual .apk that's responsible for running system update at startup on a 2.2 Dinc phone? It certainly isn't Updater.apk.

Any help would be much appreciated.

-Jac

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
you can also just allow it to update. if you want to continue to use a stock rom and have the update, as long as you used unrevoked to get the S-OFF bootloader you can relfash your recovery in hboot(get it from doug piston) and then flash the superuser app in recovery.

public:forever [RootWiki]
Inc. Recoveries | doug piston
[APP] Superuser 2.3.6.1 - Now on the Market [2010-09-05] - xda-developers

The update will most likely fail and the OP will still be nagged by the updater.

Upvote 0
The update will most likely fail and the OP will still be nagged by the updater.

youre right... reading thru the wiki again,i realize id forgot that youll need to install the stock recovery image before you can install the OTA :eek:

sorry for the confusion... but you still could do it if you really want to have a stock rom and whatever benefits the OTA brings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones