• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Block that sms from 9016

cookie_monster

Android Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2010
IOWA
Here is a tip for turning off those annoying messages about voicemail from 9016:

Send a text message to 9999 with the follow: "BLOCK 9016" (without quotes)

you should get a message back telling you that all messages to and from 9016 are blocked.

Also, this works for any number or 4 digit short code you want block. Dont use dashes though

yea but why add an app if your carrier provides this service. the app takes up space and whatever it stores takes up space. the 9999 system is a once, done, forget solution if thats all you need. and going into your picturemail settings you can add numbers there to block mms. again no space required, once, done, forget.

Upvote 0
yea but why add an app if your carrier provides this service. the app takes up space and whatever it stores takes up space. the 9999 system is a once, done, forget solution if thats all you need. and going into your picyuremail settings you can add numbers there to block mms. again no space required, once, done, forget.

I understand your point. However, Super Private Conversation can be set to catch all. No hassle of entering individual #'s as they come through. You can then sort through messages and numbers at a later time and decide how to address. As far as space is concerned...it's no more than 3 MEG and has had no effect on battery drain. Chances are, if a call/sms/mms comes through that is not on my contact list it is SPAM. You can still retrieve the voice mail/text through SPC and then decide how to handle. Just another option that I've found to work well. Others may choose to take your suggestion.

Upvote 0
This method will block the texts from coming in but if you have an AOSP ROM then you will lose Voicemail functionality with Sprint VVM.

A work around for this is to download an app called RedList and block the '9016' number from there. This will still allow your device to parse the voicemail yet block the text.

[Edit] RedList is pretty lightweight and versatile. The above method worked for my running CM6.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones