1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps Block user from accessing certain sites

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by Deepak Pandey, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Deepak Pandey

Deepak Pandey Lurker
    None

Feb 18, 2016
    Male
    Mumbai
    This application will keep running in background. when a user tries to access a site from a browser( chrome, firefox, opera mini etc) on mobile device. the url will be validated from an online database. if the url is not present in database then user will be able to access it as it is else user will be redirected to page 404.
    I am not sure if the application will have access to verify a url which is access from a different application. rooting the phone is not an option for me.

Advertisement

2. James_Watson

James_Watson Android Enthusiast

I think you can make some app like this. But I wonder whether the black list, i.e. online database you mentioned, will be maintained separately by every device client which has installed this app.

3. Deepak Pandey

Deepak Pandey Lurker
    None

Feb 18, 2016
    Male
    Mumbai
    the device will cache the database locally to avoid http overhead. this cache will be refreshed everyday. I want to know which api in android I can use.

4. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    That's a question best-asked in our Application Development sub-forum. I'll move it there so that other devs can offer advice.

5. HeavensSentSword

HeavensSentSword Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 19, 2016
    Male
    Couldn't you just check to see if the website your browsing is on the list and then redirect them to a "safe site"?
    But I would bet that you could access the different browsers options on the phone and change the blocked list in each of them with you app. Just update the databases via http download and then go to the browsers options and update the list with your downloaded list.
    That is just a idea. I couldn't find any api directly related to your question.