• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Blockbuster Application for the Evo!

it.

Jul 30, 2010
Already preloaded on the Droid X, the blockbuster app has just been released on the Android Market. Many Evo users have been waiting for this for a while and just wanted to let you guys know. This will be perfect for the 4.3 inch screen!
Blockbuster Application makes its way into the Android Market | Android Central
edit: "The good folks at Blockbuster got in contact with us, and there's been a bit of a snafu. The app wasn't supposed to be made available for all devices just yet. The application gets optimized for each device by working with the OEM's and carriers, and we were assured that Blockbuster is in the process of getting the application optimized for other devices. In the meantime, the app has been unpublished from the market and is once again only available for the Droid X."

I setup via the PC from an account I'd had already, but when I try to rent a movie (or even get the Rental FAQs), it claims it can't locate the servers. Try it two or three times, or go into the menus, and it force-closes.

Real POS app for now, let's hope they fix it soon. But, like most of the Online Rental places, their prices are ridiculous. $4 for a rental and $18(!) for a purchase? ... and they wonder why people torrent. $1 and $9, and then we'll talk.

Upvote 0
HTC needs to upgrade our HDMI port so that it plays other video media.
IIRC, that's dependent on the application. BB is dumb enough to want to charge $18 for a movie on a phone, it doesn't surprise me that they'd wanna cripple the HDMI port as well.

If I could watch 720P YouTube videos via HDMI, then the limitation is most likely not the processor, GPU, or Android core SW.

Upvote 0
I guess this is a case of be careful of what you ask for.

And blockbuster wonders why they're struggling

I'll stick to Netflix and obtaining movies my way, Netflix should only be a month or two away anyway.

Can't believe Blockbuster is still open. Netflix and Redbox for me. The app for Redbox works pretty good so far. If only it can bring up account info.

Upvote 0
Let's see, $4.00 to watch a movie on a 4" screen. $4.00 to watch the same movie on the 50" plasma with surround sound and rib rattling base. I guess some people believe that if it can be done, it should be done, whatever the cost. I use the Evo to watch Netflix on my 50" plasma, but the thought of watching Netflix on my Evo is just pathetic.

Upvote 0
Let's see, $4.00 to watch a movie on a 4" screen. $4.00 to watch the same movie on the 50" plasma with surround sound and rib rattling base. I guess some people believe that if it can be done, it should be done, whatever the cost. I use the Evo to watch Netflix on my 50" plasma, but the thought of watching Netflix on my Evo is just pathetic.

I think what people are hoping for is the ability to either stream or maybe download a movie onto the sd card and watch a movie while commuting or something like that. For 8.99 a month Netflix customers can stream movies, so we're hoping that can carry over to Android. As most northeast people travel via train or bus. would be nice to get a movie in while commuting.

I can possibly see a downloaded movie onto a sd card only good for one day then expires.

Upvote 0

Evo + netflix +50"plasma = how the h3ll you doing that..
I thought netflix wasn't playing nicely with or phones and froyo something about drm or not formatted correctly

Please let me know how you doing this

Upvote 0
Evo + netflix +50"plasma = how the h3ll you doing that..
I thought netflix wasn't playing nicely with or phones and froyo something about drm or not formatted correctly

Please let me know how you doing this

Subscribe to Hotspot

Connect computer to Evo (wireless or tethered)

Configure nternet connection to allow networking

Add Netflix device to exception list for firewall & anti-virus software

Make or buy a criss-cross ethernet cable & connect laptop to Netflix enabled device.

Done correctly, this cable will turn your laptop into a router, letting you surf the web on your computer, while talking on and surfing on your Evo, and watching Netflix on your television, all at the same time.

Anything is easy once you know how to do it!!

Upvote 0
Subscribe to Hotspot

Connect computer to Evo (wireless or tethered)

Configure nternet connection to allow networking

Add Netflix device to exception list for firewall & anti-virus software

Make or buy a criss-cross ethernet cable & connect laptop to Netflix enabled device.

Done correctly, this cable will turn your laptop into a router, letting you surf the web on your computer, while talking on and surfing on your Evo, and watching Netflix on your television, all at the same time.

Anything is easy once you know how to do it!!

i'm sure there are some people who would benefit from this use, but i think most of us are looking for a way to stream netflix to our phones as standalone devices......

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones