• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Blocking Group SMS

The_Chief

Accept no imitations!
  • Nov 17, 2009
    Manchester, Tennessee
    Yep, he did it.

A colleague of mine accidentally sent out a massive group text which (of course) included me. Now I'm getting deluged with text responses from people I have no relationship with and really don't want to hear from!

I'm using the stock Messages app and I can't find a way to block a group. I can delete it... but as soon as someone else texts it's right back. It surprises me that Samsung didn't include an option to block the whole thing.

There is no option to mute or exit the text thread.

My options in the drop down menu are Quick Responses, Schedule message, Add subject, Create slideshow, Lock messages, Save Messages. There are three icons along the top of the menu if I want to add or download the pictures, Add/Remove which gives me a list of the numbers so I can add to my contacts (NOPE), and Delete. But that only deletes the current thread. As soon as someone else replies, it starts all over.

I tried to send a message to Samsung asking them to include an option to opt-out of a group text or otherwise block it... but of COURSE the website choked and I could never send it...

Reactions: marctronixx
    Upvote 0
    I find it silly samsung do not have a way to natively block or opt out of a group text in this day and age. I dont use the stock app so no way to do any digging to help.

Have you ever thought about using a more robust 3rd party app? Textra, and android messages will left you mute.

I know you have your reasons for sticking with the stock app, but just asking. :)

Reactions: A bochur
    Upvote 0
    Yes, I used Chomp for years and it's a great app. I'm TRYING to stay as stock as possible for the simple reason that I want to give Bixby a shot at being a useful assistant. And Bixby works best with the native apps. However, I am also surprised that Samsung either didn't think to add an option to block group texts, or they didn't bother.

Reactions: marctronixx
    Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones