• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Blocking toddler from downloading apps

How do I stop my toddler from downloading apps? Not just the paid ones but the free ones too. The problem is the in-app advertisements and developer links..

Ha, good question. I just don't let my toddler use my phone. Apple's way around it is by requiring your password for everything, but that is a real pain. My toddler is always on my iPad but fortunately it does stop him from downloading apps.

Upvote 0
Hi..

My sister and I researched this a few months ago as her toddler loves the phones. We tried a few apps etc but found flaws with most. Interestingly, despite this being a tech forum she got some parenting advice too when she posted looking for other user's experiences :p

The easiest and safest thing we have found is to set the phone on airplane mode when he is playing. We also created his own homescreen with his games (Kids piano, Angry Birds, Bubbles etc) are in one place and he knows to tell us if he sees something he doesn't recognise and to press the "home" button to get back to his screen if he gets away from it some how. In all the time doing this we have only had one problem where he locked his dad out of his Samsung Galaxy requiring a factory reset.

Gg

Upvote 0
My first reaction was 'keep an eye on the toddler' too, but not in any malicious way.

I don't think this is the place for a parenting discussion. Some families are raised to believe that eating meat is bad, or that monogamy/polygamy are the only ways to live, or that being homosexual is a curable disease. The world holds a lot of people, and compared to things that matter, whether or not your child plays with a phone is completely insignificant.

A phone forum is not the right format for a parenting debate. Let's try actually solving the problem at hand.

Upvote 0
I use an app locker to stop my daughter from getting into the market and download anything. In order for the market to open she needs my pin number to unlock it. She's used to an iphone where it asks for a password and will look thru the apps in the apple store and ask if she can get something. She's 4 and i haven't had any problems with her downloading random stuff paid or free and she's been using my phones for over a year.

Upvote 0
My bigger concern would be that the child causes physical damage to the phone (drops it, throws it, etc.) There is no app that can protect from that.

IMO, if the phone is important (i.e., you need it for business) it shouldn't be a toy. However, if the phone is a luxury you can risk living without (or you bought an extra one for the child) I can understand the need for an app to prevent access to certain features.

Upvote 0
The OP asked about any apps that would prevent a child from doing certain things on a phone not whether or not anyone here felt it was appropriate or not for a child to use a phone or any piece of technology. So if you have a suggestion related to the original question at hand great, on the other hand if you want to offer your parenting advice of the year may i suggest a parenting forum where you can start a debate on the impact technology has on child and whether it's appropriate for them to touch phones/tablets/computers etc?

Please keep it on topic.

Upvote 0
Do you want the toddler to be able to do everything apart from install apps? what about making calls, etc..

Havent tried it but try bloatfreezer and freeze "Market" app

(or use titanium backup to do it).. Dont know if it will work or even if it can be done.. you need a rooted phone. Worth a try..

Of course if the toddler is smart enough, he can unfreeze market.

Upvote 0
Thank you to advice from all who stayed on topic. For those with parenting advice the android device I have (and its iphone3g predecessor) have fantastic educational apps which are aimed at toddlers. I agree that they should not do the parenting for you but ten minutes here and there is fine with me. When you have children yourselves (you'll need a girlfriend first) you will understand! Next thing you'll be saying is that locking them in the attic with only a bucket of fish heads for sustenance is inhumane. Some people!

Upvote 0
Thank you to advice from all who stayed on topic. For those with parenting advice the android device I have (and its iphone3g predecessor) have fantastic educational apps which are aimed at toddlers. I agree that they should not do the parenting for you but ten minutes here and there is fine with me. When you have children yourselves (you'll need a girlfriend first) you will understand! Next thing you'll be saying is that locking them in the attic with only a bucket of fish heads for sustenance is inhumane. Some people!

I and I'm sure others do understand, where your coming from. I have three teenagers and an 8 yrs old. I don't let my kids play on or use my phone. I do however, from time to time, let them use my old backflip phone for games and stuff, since its not activated. My Dad left his phone unattended and my 11 yrs old nephew tried to unlock it and messed things up. My Dad had to factory reset his phone to get it working again. My wife let our 13 yrs old see her phone, and he was going to internet sites he shouldn't have. My sister let her kids play with her phone and most of the time something gets broke on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones